Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are my events after upgrading to photos?

After upgrading to photos from iPhoto, my events are gone. I have enabled sidebar, they were there and now they are gone.. Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), null

Posted on May 25, 2015 8:20 PM

4 replies

May 25, 2015 10:56 PM in response to juliealee

Are only the "iPhoto Events" albums missing, or the photos too?

You may have opened a different Photos library than yesterday. If Photos cannot access your regular Photos Library, it will create a new, empty one.

Where is the iPhoto library stored, that you migrated to Photos. Is it on an external drive?

You can see the location of the currently open Photos Library, in the Photos > Preferences panel:

Open "Photos > Preferences > General " and click "Show in Finder". Are you using the same library as before?

Are you syncing with iCloud Photo Library? There have been a few reports, that the "iPhoto Events" albums vanished, when iCloud Photo Library is enabled and a second device started to sync with iCloud.

May 26, 2015 9:49 AM in response to juliealee

Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Albums/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

Where are my events after upgrading to photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.