Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I find out whether my iPad is actually brand new or a refurbished one?

My iPad 2 was supposed to be a brand new purchase made in America - it's cheaper than the UK - through my daughter in law.
The bloody thing has never worked properly. It crashed completely, locking up solidly, within the first month. She of course took for repairs.

It still doesn't work correctly - e.g. the screen doesn't respond for up to half a dozen taps, hard or soft, short or long, on any icon.

I have since discovered that as an A1395 it was manufactured and first available in 2011 - Hardly brand new for 2014?
I would be most grateful if anyone could tell me how I can discover the "provenance", as it were, of this particular iPad 2 and whether it is in fact a pre-owned iPad?

It may be a cheap refurbishment through groupon or something similar?

Thank you in anticipation of your kind help.

iPad 2, iOS 8.3, Has never worked properly!!

Posted on May 25, 2015 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 7:46 PM

It's possible that the iPad 2 was new, as in not used, it just likely has been sitting around for a while given that the iPad 3, 4 Air and Air 2 are out. (My iPad 2 will be 4 years old this August)

Where did your daughter buy the iPad? Was it from an apple store or familiar retailer? (I'm thinking best buy, walmart, target, etc).

I would say your only recourse, at least initially, is through the place that sold it to her. Or you can try your local apple store and see what they can tell you.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 7:46 PM in response to ProfLud007

It's possible that the iPad 2 was new, as in not used, it just likely has been sitting around for a while given that the iPad 3, 4 Air and Air 2 are out. (My iPad 2 will be 4 years old this August)

Where did your daughter buy the iPad? Was it from an apple store or familiar retailer? (I'm thinking best buy, walmart, target, etc).

I would say your only recourse, at least initially, is through the place that sold it to her. Or you can try your local apple store and see what they can tell you.

May 25, 2015 8:15 PM in response to ProfLud007

If it was just purchased and shows no warranty, then it is probably some type of used or refurbished device. However, as Skydiver119 said, it would make a big difference where the device was purchased. If it was from a department store here in the states and was refurbished, then it is not an Apple refurbished device and you would be at the mercy of that merchant. While you could get out of warranty service on the device with Apple, they would not really be responsible for the device, only devices they refurbished and sell directly through their stores. Good luck trying to figure it out.

How can I find out whether my iPad is actually brand new or a refurbished one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.