Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get an older style itunes screen view?

My PC died & the older version of itunes I had won't install on my Win.8 64 bit system.

The new itunes has lost a lot of the useful features of the older one - in particular the screen view which had a top menu listing genre, artist, album; & showed 4+ columns underneath listing artist, song, album, genre.

I only use my 160 GB ipod for music & regularly change the contents so I really need that kind of screen view.

I've search the forums & tried the older posts with links to reinstall an older version of itunes - unfortunately none of the downloads seem to work (even with the firewall turned off).

Any constructive ideas anyone?

Thanks

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), Windows 8

Posted on May 25, 2015 9:26 PM

4 replies

May 25, 2015 10:42 PM in response to Rysz

Hi Rysz

Thank you for your swift reply.

I had found this option in itunes but unfortunately from what I can tell it only gives me the option of seeing one of these views/ categories (either songs, artists, albums, composers,or genres) at a time but not all of them altogether at the same time.

The nearest I can get is with songs in the playlist tab but that's far from functional/ ideal.

Here's the essence of the problem - I have more than a 100 genres & 24000 songs.

If I look at genres & find say flamenco I then get a list 50 plus albums (many by various artists) in album title alpha order (unhelpful in the extreme).

If I then switch views to artists, albums, or songs it then shows all of them regardless of genre etc - it's a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack.

With the older system I could see exactly how many genres, artists & albums there were (top menu list/ strip), & locate any song via that & the 4+ columns below (which was similar to the 'songs-playlist' view I mentioned) within seconds.

Any ideas where I can locate a working version of one of the older style itunes?

May 26, 2015 9:02 AM in response to sorry that alias is taken

I'm sorry, but I'm failing to understand what it is that you're not seeing or not being able to do in iTunes.

Below is a screenshot of my Music > Playlists view. It is exactly as what I had in iTunes 11. To control sorting within any selected Genre, I use the column headings (highlighted). Clicking on the heading often gives additional choices, not just ascending/descending. You can add as many columns as you want by right-clicking on any column heading and selecting the columns you want to see, and therefore sort by.

BTW, reverting to an older version of iTunes would be very difficult, because your iTunes Library has been converted to be compatible with the newer version.

User uploaded file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.