Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac spinning Fan when sleeping

My Imac mid 2011 running iOS yosemite constantly spins its fan or HD ( I'm not sure which is spinning), after the computer enters in the sleep mode it seens to spin at high speed for about 15~30 seconds than it suddely stops to restart again after a minute or so. It does it all night while the computer was supposed to be in sleep mode, but all the rest of the machine is ok and running smootly without any problem. This is starting to annoying me first because it not seen to be a normal thing, and second cause the imac is in my bedroom and in the middle of the night in a silent room this sound is very distressing.

HOpe it is not a big iisue and someone could come with a fix for it.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 25, 2015 10:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 10:28 PM

Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan acti…

Mavericks and later

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the View menu. Click on the CPU tab in the toolbar. Click twice on the CPU% column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of CPU time (>=70,) then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 10:28 PM in response to Kledson

Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan acti…

Mavericks and later

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the View menu. Click on the CPU tab in the toolbar. Click twice on the CPU% column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of CPU time (>=70,) then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

May 30, 2015 12:51 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks kappa you might help me again here, I'm not sure about what you mean for CPU time >=70

the process I had with the highest amount of time usage is:

Windows server 2:12.70

Kernel Task 4:06.94

Safari networking 5:47.44

core audio 4:07.95

login window 1:04.96

All the remaining processes are below 34.00, another question i have is this applications might be the reason I listen my HD spinning and stop constantly even after been put to sleep?

Thanks

Imac spinning Fan when sleeping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.