Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repair Policy

So - I am the unlucky owner of an iMac ultimo 2009. The other day the video card broke down. I called my local Apple repair shop (Humac) and top my surprise the response was: Since your computer is more than 5 years old we do not repair it.

Is that Apple's official repair policy or Humac's? I am surprised the a fairly priced computer is denied repairs just because it's slightly more than 5 years old.

Posted on May 25, 2015 11:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 11:13 PM

Apple shops no longer repair products after a certain time period partly due to the fact that they are out of date and partly because parts are no longer easily available.

3 replies

May 26, 2015 1:40 AM in response to sbn

Vintage and obsolete products

Apple has discontinued support for certain technologically obsolete and vintage products.

Vintage products are those that were discontinued more than five and less than seven years ago. Apple has discontinued hardware service for vintage products with the following exception:

• Products purchased in the state of California, United States, as required by statute. Owners of these products may obtain service and parts from Apple Service Providers within the state of California, United States.

Obsolete products are those that were discontinued more than seven years ago. Apple has discontinued all hardware service for obsolete products with no exceptions. Service providers cannot order parts for obsolete products.

All retail Apple Stores and the Canadian, European, Latin American and Asia-Pacific operating regions follow the U.S. product list, but make no distinction between vintage and obsolete. When applied to the retail Apple Stores and these operating regions, all products on the U.S. Vintage list are considered obsolete.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201624

Repair Policy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.