Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open recent Pages document "need newer version"

I am running Yosemite 10.10.3 on a 2012 Macbook pro.

I have the most recent Pages 5.5.3 I am aware of (the document was created on this machine and the software hasn't been updated since). I have a document saved in iCloud - created about ten days ago and when I try and open it I am faced with an error message - asking me to download a newer version 9n order to open the document - others on iCloud will download and open.

Having Googled, I have checked and the default for this document is the current version of Pages. I have removed the old 09 iWorks from the application menu so that only the latest version of Pages can be accessed and I still get the error.

Can anyone help please - this is a lot of work which is now inaccessible to me?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Pages v 5.5.3

Posted on May 26, 2015 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 3:13 AM

No release of Pages v5 will open Pages '08 documents, and will inform you via a dialog that you need to open and save them in Pages '09 first — before Pages (in your case v5.5.3) will open the document. Having removed Pages '09, which has 100+ more features than Pages v5.5.3, now complicates your ability to move forward with that Pages '08 document content.

Do you have Pages '08 installed on another Mac? Do you still have the iWork '08 DVD, or retail iWork '09 DVD?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2015 3:13 AM in response to nutholme

No release of Pages v5 will open Pages '08 documents, and will inform you via a dialog that you need to open and save them in Pages '09 first — before Pages (in your case v5.5.3) will open the document. Having removed Pages '09, which has 100+ more features than Pages v5.5.3, now complicates your ability to move forward with that Pages '08 document content.

Do you have Pages '08 installed on another Mac? Do you still have the iWork '08 DVD, or retail iWork '09 DVD?

May 26, 2015 6:23 AM in response to VikingOSX

Many thanks for the response. I don't have a dvd and didnt know about iWorks until this problem occurred ( I was just using Pages and Keynote and dint realise this was Messi g around in the background) This document was created using the latest Pages and older documents seem to open fine, so this really deties the logic. I have had to recreate the whole document on my old PC. I love my iPhone and my iPad but my Mac hasn't lived up to expectation and I'm shocked by the years of similar messages I have now discovered on this Same issue. If this was happening in Word I exleft there would be an Internet meltdown about how poor Microsoft are. Perhaps I have been too generous to Apple in my expectations.

Thanks again for your help, I have decided I am not going to spend hours trying to fix it. I will revert to relying on Word and PowerPoint for my work. At some point an update should fix it - I'm not holding my breath

cheers

Cannot open recent Pages document "need newer version"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.