Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving images out of iMessage

How does one save pictures received in iMessage? I have tried the control/click route, but no item showing in that menu seems to allow this standard task. I can however do the more esoteric tasks of having the picture spoken to me in iTunes, or search it on the internet. I just can't seem to save it to a location on my own computer…

Is there a hidden button under that blank white Yosemite interface? A button that looks not like a button? Is there a new funny handshake to do this? Should I be standing in a crop circle? It's hard to tell with Apple these days…

Posted on May 26, 2015 2:32 AM

5 replies

May 26, 2015 3:41 AM in response to thunderzzz

Thanks for the reply. The image will open with whatever default application set for that image type, not necessarily Preview. Your option does not allow simple saving off the original file from the app it was received in - which used (and should still be) to be an option.

I have noticed that iMessage images save to the downloads folder, so as a help to you, you do not need to open in Preview or other image app to save in that convoluted way.

However, there is no way to naturally navigate from the iMessage app to the source file without laborious (and should be unnecessary) browsing in the Finder. It's an obvious navigational issue that is omitted.

May 26, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Nathan Jones2

hi,

In iChat Pics and Files were saved in-line as it were when you Saved Chats.

At that time you could drag the pic or file to the Desktop (or other location) to "Save" it outside of the Chat.

Currently Messages stores Pics and file in the Attachments folder in ~/Library/Messages

These are place here though by the route ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat/Data/Library/Messages and an Alias for the Attachments folder (Like name Sandboxed actions)

AS you say there is not simple route to these files.

If the Chat is Open you should be able to access them via th "Details" option top right of the chat.

User uploaded file

7:46 pm Tuesday; May 26, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

May 26, 2015 12:22 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I'll never remember that every time I simply want to save an image. They are in Details, yes - as square thumbnails, but you can't save them from there either. Apple haven't bothered to actually finish the app have they? It's the same with the 'new' Photos app, half the things you need are completely missing. Saving out the image should be literally the simplest thing to do?!

Anyone from Apple reading - got a better idea on this?

May 26, 2015 12:58 PM in response to Nathan Jones2

Hi,

Yes you are right.

It takes several more steps than it should.

Personally I morn Formatting and Font and Balloon colour changes along with iChat Theatre.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ichat.html

This page has not been updated since iChat 5 (when I gave up badgering the hosts to push the requests to the correct people)

It is the page for Messages.

Enter all the details of your set up in the Free Text area.

You will not get a reply but if enough people state what they want in this area it might make a comeback.

User uploaded file

8:58 pm Tuesday; May 26, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Saving images out of iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.