Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Book Pro system report shows a nearly full Hard Disk consisting of entirely Photos or Mac Back up's depending on what you make of the colour bar.

My Mac Book Pro system report shows a nearly full Hard Disk consisting of entirely Photos or Mac Back up's depending on what you make of the colour. I have recently deleted 4 large Iphoto and Aperture Libraries. The file sizes dont add up to the stated file sizes.

I have run the Disk repair Utility and also Omnidisksweeper.

I have also tried to run the Omnidisksweeper inside the terminal to no avail.

I will attach a screen shot of the system report.

Any Ideas? I would be very grateful

Thanks

Pete

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 26, 2015 3:17 AM

10 replies

May 26, 2015 4:28 AM in response to pisnbrokepete

A PB is a petabyte which equals 1000 GB's. Your HDD could not possibly have 40.53 PBs of backups.

There is a bug in that display and usually a Spotlight reindex will correct the misinformation. You might give it another try.

If no success, you could reinstall Yosemite, take the MBP to an Apple store genius bar or simply ignore that display.

Ciao.

May 26, 2015 4:39 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks Ive re indexed it a few times now and just get a different system display each time. Will it affect the way it works when it decides its full? or can I simply ignore the display? I can re install yosemite too if that will help. will it delete all my data though? I'm running a backup at the moment. Thanks for all your help Cheers Pete

May 26, 2015 4:50 AM in response to pisnbrokepete

It should have NO affect on your data but backups are always essential if the data has value for you. Reinstalling an OSX does not delete or alter user data if done correctly. I do not know if that will correct the problem.

pisnbrokepete wrote:

Thanks Ive re indexed it a few times now and just get a different system display each time. Will it affect the way it works when it decides its full? or can I simply ignore the display? I

What you might consider is to save all of the various images for this display and make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar. Present them with your evidence and see if they cab resolve the issue. Your situation is the first that has nor been resolved by a Spotlight reindex. I believe that this anomaly is benign.

Ciao.

My Mac Book Pro system report shows a nearly full Hard Disk consisting of entirely Photos or Mac Back up's depending on what you make of the colour bar.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.