Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstall macbook pro os x yosemite, why have to take so long time ?

Hi ,i just bought mac pro from friend ,the os x yosemite version,and i try following instruction here ,erase and reinstall os x ,

however ,when i got step everything

1,go to disk utility erase hardisk and rename

2. connect wifi

3.sign in id

4,reinstall

why have to take over 30 hours to install system ?is it macbook have to keep on over night?how can make installing quickly ? i saw from youtube just less than hour

any guys here can you help me to solve this problem please

thank you

Posted on May 26, 2015 3:52 AM

22 replies

May 26, 2015 8:16 AM in response to kiiro isamu

The "install system" process you're asking about starts with downloading the Yosemite installer and that's over 5GB in size. Depending on how fast your internet connection is, that can take quite a while, and that's assuming the server that's delivering it to you can run faster than your internet connection (they can sometimes get very busy). It's only after the download is complete and is verified that the actual installation even begins.

May 27, 2015 1:31 AM in response to lllaass

sorry is os x lion installing now,but have to take 60 hours above ,yes when i get from friend macbook yosemite version ,but i cant create password at macbook ,so i following apple instruction to reinstall ,when 1st time install is yosemite version but fail of network ,so i try press com+r want reinstall ,but come out global logo ,waiting few hour so now installing is os x lion version,

my macbook model is A1278,

becaus i dont want doing two time job ,so now how can i install latest version os x yosemite version at macbook ?

is it can i download from other laptop and using usb bootable to install os x yosemite ?

thank you very much reply

reinstall macbook pro os x yosemite, why have to take so long time ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.