Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with proximity sensor

Hello,

I have trouble with proximity sensor with my Iphone 4 (white color).

We 've tried different sensors but nevertheless the problem still occurs.

I start to think that the problem is a software one.

Trouble starts occuring intermittenly when I've upgraded latests version of OS.

Any help on that topic ?

Regards,

Stephane

iPhone 4 (8GB), iOS 7.1.2

Posted on May 26, 2015 5:20 AM

13 replies

May 26, 2015 5:25 AM in response to srodiere

Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on the phone.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

Hope this helps!

May 26, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I don't think that .

We tried sensors in another iphone 4 (a black one) without any trouble.

He had same problem on some white iphone 4, but not all ...

He tried with and without black "stried" to avoid light to disturb sensor, we've changed screen color (from white to black), ... I' m sure that he used to do such stuff, but I think that there are some well known trouble about proximity sensor with Iphone 4 (lots of complains on internet about this topic)

stephane

May 26, 2015 8:53 AM in response to srodiere

Meaningless. You will find lots of complaints about virtually anything on the Internet. People who don't have complaints don't post on the Internet and say "I don't have any complaints." So no matter what issue you have all you see will be reports of it, not balanced by positive information. I see lots of people who were abducted by aliens on the Internet.

May 26, 2015 9:00 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

you're right ...

but if proximity sensor work well, you won't find any complains on the internet .. So problem is that I can't still use my phone and we tried to change hardware linked to this trouble without success.

So , ,now, I would like to understand why the problem still persist and if this problem is linked to another hardware problem (mother board, .... ) or a software one (OS update, ..).

Something is strange ... problem start just after an OS update ..... but it increase when i changed the sensor

May 26, 2015 9:07 AM in response to srodiere

srodiere wrote:

you're right ...

but if proximity sensor work well, you won't find any complains on the internet ..

I disagree. If the sensor works well for 50 million users (the number of iPhone 4's sold), but doesn't work for 100 users, you will see multiple hundreds of posts about it, because most of those hundred will post more than once. I've been participating here for 10 years, including all of the time the iPhone 4 has been around, and I have not seen a deluge of complaints specifically about the proximity sensor. And most of the ones I have seen were fixed by removing the case or the screen protector. There is a problem with your specific phone. It is not a software problem, because if it were there would be tens of thousands of posts about it (based on other problems that affected a significant number of users). And so many things can go wrong when you open an iPhone that no one here can really help you resolve it. Your best bet is ifixit.com.

May 27, 2015 7:00 AM in response to srodiere

srodiere wrote:

That 't fabulous to sell something that cost a lot, but you MUST provide support to customers.

Idon't have to do anything. I'm a user, just like you. This is a user-to-user forum. Apple does not participate, except as moderators. If you want to discuss it with Apple you will have to contact them directly. Use the Contact Us link on every page.

Problem with proximity sensor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.