Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fix No Bootable Device error?

Macbook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)

Operating System: OS X Yosemite (version. 10.10.3)

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

Graphics: Intel HD 3000 384 MB

Ever since I first tried to install Windows I have had problem after problem. The first problem was actually installing Windows to a MBR/GPT drive thingy. I got round that and managed to install Windows but had no sound drivers. (Windows 10/Windows 8.1) Tried everything to get sound working but gave up and wiped my partition. Now I am trying to install Windows again but without Boot Camp this time (I have a superdrive so I can't do it with USB - I changed my info.plist and Boot Camp just kept crashing - I know there is a terminal command but that didn't work and it still continues to crash so I changed my info.plist to the original setting). This time I have got my Windows 7 USB from Microsoft, put it on a Windows PC, downloaded "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool" from the Microsoft website, successfully created a bootable USB. Plugged it into my MacBook and booted up the boot menu but one problem was that the USB didn't show up. (I think maybe because it's now NTFS format) so I downloaded rEFInd and installed it, restarted my MacBook and pressed Option+CMD and rEFInd boot menu showed up, I clicked Boot Windows NTFS partition and now it says "No Bootable Device --..."

Please someone tell me why I am finding it so difficult just to have a nice copy of Windows installed with working audio. If you need any more information please ask.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 26, 2015 5:17 AM

15 replies

May 26, 2015 1:40 PM in response to benfrombrigg

You should try a 'normal' Windows installation. Use BCA, insert your Windows DVD, let BCA partition the internal disk and install Windows. Your Mac is a preUEFI Mac with an Optical drive. Sound will not work with EFI, because EFI 1.1 on your Mac does not expose sound controller or devices, but the MBR method (using CSM-BIOS) does.

May 28, 2015 3:23 AM in response to benfrombrigg

1. What year/model is your Mac?

2. Please verify the integrity of the ISO/DVD using Microsoft FCIV or any other tool that can generate MD5sum/SHA1 and compare it to the source.

3. Normal method for preUEFI Macs is

a. Remove any previous Windows using BCA (only - nothing else). Disconnect all external storage

b. If you have a Windows ISO, use Disk Utility (Yosemite): Burn a disk image to a CD or DVD to create a DVD.

c. Insert Windows DVD

d. Run BCA and choose both options (Download Software and Install Windows). If this requests a USB, use a USB2 flash disk only.

e. Let BCA Partition your drive.

f. Do not interrupt Windows installation using Alt/Option key

g. Follow Installer prompts

May 28, 2015 4:21 AM in response to benfrombrigg

You can verify the integrity of the source ISO (which can be corrupted during downloads) using the Microsoft FCIV tool - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/889768?wa=wsignin1.0 or using the OS X Terminal command openssl md5 (https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/ man1/openssl.1ssl.html)

You will need a DVD which is 4.7G. If your ISO is a mixed (32-bit and 64-bit) file, BCA will reject it. You need one version or the other, but not both.

May 28, 2015 9:25 AM in response to benfrombrigg

Please see http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html#uninstalling .

The EFI partition can be mounted, which should be done when booted in Recovery Console (Commmand+Opt+R - Internet Recovery). You will need to create a mount point in OSX Terminal using

mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

Details of Internet Recovery can be found in OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support .

How do I fix No Bootable Device error?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.