Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs played through iTunes are horrible quality, but are perfectly clear on any other program

I recently imported my music into iTunes and every song now plays with horrible quality. It fades back and forth between ears, is very distorted at low volumes, and sounds very "pixilated." I'm afraid to sync my phone and have my clear music replaced with this. I've turned off all filters in iTunes and got a slightly noticeable change, but very slight. Its bad enough to where I'd rather sit/drive silence. How did Apple manage to do this to iTunes?

Its not a hardware issue. This only happens in iTunes. Thanks for the help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 26, 2015 4:48 AM

11 replies

May 26, 2015 5:11 AM in response to OldGnome

I imported it onto a used Macbook from my iPhone 6, also from a few CD's. Filters, as in the "Sound Enhancer," sound check, and equalizer. But I just tried VLC player and it was exactly the same, so maybe it is hardware? Sound quality in Safari is perfect, but my music files sound horrible and they all have the same pattern of distortion.

Sep 3, 2015 12:41 AM in response to everyusername

Just downloaded the latest update and it is still happening! Quicktime still plays it completely undistorted, but I haven't synced my phone in months because of this. I can't add any music to my phone. I have a busy schedule so its hard to make time for a genius bar appointment.. This is pretty low on my to-do list, but very high on my list of aggravations.

Songs played through iTunes are horrible quality, but are perfectly clear on any other program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.