Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Graphic Card Advice

Think i need replacement video card for early 2008 Mac Pro.

Looking to keep costs down, was wondering if the Nvidea GeForce 120 512Mb is compatible with my Mac Pro

also looking in the UK, could do with some help, seems to be a difficult item to get.

Any other options.

Oh Mac is running Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite.

most intensive work is Photoshop. raw processing etc

thanks in advance.

Mac Pro (Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10), 6Gb Ram Nvidea 8800GT

Posted on May 26, 2015 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 7:14 AM

Yes that card should work however it is an extremely low-end card.

Other than eBay, the following is a source http://www.thebookyard.com/mac_graphics_video_cards.php?manufacturers_id=46&sort =2a&page=3 - if you ask me they are charging too much.

Better video cards would include the Radeon 7950, Nvidia GTX 680, Radeon 5770 or 5870.

Note: If you were using FinalCut Pro X then a Radeon 7950 would be a better choice. If you were using Adobe Premier or After Effects then the GTX-680 would be a better choice.

There are other possible card choices including much more powerful ones but they would become even more expensive and have other complications that it sounds like you would not be interested in, especially as you are not located in the USA.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2015 7:14 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Yes that card should work however it is an extremely low-end card.

Other than eBay, the following is a source http://www.thebookyard.com/mac_graphics_video_cards.php?manufacturers_id=46&sort =2a&page=3 - if you ask me they are charging too much.

Better video cards would include the Radeon 7950, Nvidia GTX 680, Radeon 5770 or 5870.

Note: If you were using FinalCut Pro X then a Radeon 7950 would be a better choice. If you were using Adobe Premier or After Effects then the GTX-680 would be a better choice.

There are other possible card choices including much more powerful ones but they would become even more expensive and have other complications that it sounds like you would not be interested in, especially as you are not located in the USA.

May 26, 2015 7:41 AM in response to John Lockwood

Hello john

thank you for getting back to me, yes saw the GT120 on Amazon at £79.00 here in the UK store. wondered why it was cheaper than the alternatives.

as i say the mac doesn't get used to do anything to intensive. Photoshop etc, a bit of video watching. don't do any video editing, 3D rendering or gaming.

just need a card to get the old thing back up and running. Was quite exasperated to see some of the prices being quoted for such an old slugger.

saw one place here in the UK that was charging £385.00 for a Nvidea 8800GT which is discontinued as far as I am aware.

I'll have a look at the options you listed and see how it goes from there.

thanks very much

Mac Pro Graphic Card Advice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.