Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X -- low light shoot

Hi. Thank you in advance for any feedback. I shot a few speeches at an outdoor dinner (about 8 PM) and the ambient light was quite low (and few outdoor lights). Using a Canon pro-cam and Final Cut Pro X editing software (without any production lights). Some of the footage is rather dark. Any suggestions in FCP X to brighten it up a bit. I tried a few things in the Saturation and Exposure menus (from the inspector tab) which seem to help a little but if anyone has any suggestions please advise. Thanks!

IMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 26, 2015 5:32 AM

19 replies

May 26, 2015 5:57 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hi Karsten,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately it was a private event & I don't have permission to post any of the footage. But to your point on the color board in the Saturation mode I slightly raised the shadows, midtones & highlights and under the Exposure mode I also very slightly raised the midtones & highlights & that seemed to help a bit. If there is anything else you think I should try in the color board please let me know. Thanks again.

May 26, 2015 6:02 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your time -- appreciated. I am using Final Cut Pro X and a Canon (AVCHD) HG 10 camera. Also, you may have seen my previous message but it was a private event and unfortunately I don't have permission to release any of the footage. But I hope the info about the Final Cut version & camera are helpful.

Thanks again for your time, Bruce

May 26, 2015 9:30 PM in response to alias38

alias38 wrote:

.... private event & I don't have permission to post any of the footage....

Sounds familiar - I'm volonteer at some school-projects, (not all) parents really 'fear' their kids to be displayed on the internet ... no idea the existance of Facebook Accounts most of their offsprings have LOL!!

a) if it was a dark situatiion, it is absoluely legit to show dark pictures, … then, audio gets very important.

b) when you raise the overall exposure , you usally lose contrast - so, raise the 'total' slider up, and push the shadow puck down. Use the scope (cmd-7)!

c) in dark locations, cameras (in auto mode...) raise the gain = noise (visually). Rasing the low portions of the movie increases noise/make it more obvious. that's why I would recommend usage of a de-noiser; there's the market leader Neat ($$$), and a new kid on the block, you get for 29$ at the AppStore, Photon <<click to store.

d) for too-dark material I would just play with the exposure, not with the saturation; noise creates 'colorful artefacts', raising saturation makes them more obvious; au contraire: I would lower (!!) saturation, German saying "At night all cats are grey". 😀

e) getting artistic: consider a Day-for-Night effect: tint the material to blue! That could 'cover' technical imperfections ...

A bit generic, sorry, .....

May 27, 2015 7:55 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hi Karsten,

Great suggestions -- thanks. I wasn't even aware of the (cmd7) scope but will try. Working with the noise/gain and saturation are also a great suggestions. Thanks also for the references for the de-noisers -- I will definitely check those out.

Yes...I think at night the cats are grey here in America also!

Enjoy the rest of the week:)

Bruce

May 27, 2015 9:11 PM in response to alias38

alias38 wrote:

p.s. I also hit the "Solved" rating but I don't see it showing up on your message?

Sorry about that -- I will try again when I log in.

Nothing to worry about ... discussions about the 'usability' of this boards interface fill pages 😝

afaik, you can give 1 solved and 2 (or 3?) helpfull 'bubbles' ....

Glad you found some advice ...! ... more important than any 'ranking' .... LOL!

May 28, 2015 5:54 AM in response to alias38

Hey Alias,

Unfortunately, none of us can "adjust" points once they are awarded by the OP…whether it's the recipient or the OP. Most of those who contribute regularly here have developed a philosophical attitude about the points system. Sometimes the system gives and sometimes it takes. However, you – as OP, – can do some scale rebalancing by awarding Helpful points to Karsten. (I always learn something from reading his posts!🙂)

BTW, did you ever experiment with the side and spot lights?

Russ

Final Cut Pro X -- low light shoot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.