Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rMBP (3rd gen) battery drains while asleep

So, I use my MBP (running Yosemite) for work as a desktop replacement, and I have 2 external monitors (HDMI and Thunderbolt->DVI) as well as a full sized keyboard and mouse. The DVI monitor, kb, mouse, and sound (headphone jack) are all plugged into a KVM switch because I share those devices with my desktop PC.

I've found some odd behavior lately, and it may have always happened and I just didn't know it, but it's been bothering me as of late. Basically, when I put the computer to sleep via the apple menu, the MB seems to go to sleep, but there is still a significant power drain on it while in this state. While plugged in to the outlet, the MB will remain hot (battery is already fully charged at this point) all night long, nearly as hot as if the GPU were under load -- nearly untouchable, and if I do not leave the computer plugged in overnight, the battery will be at 0% by morning so I would need to do a fresh boot. Under a fully charged battery with all of these things plugged in, I get about 2-3hrs of battery life so I don't think that it's a battery issue, and you can see my power settings below.

I understand that HDMI,DVI,USB all draw a small amount of power even in sleep mode, but should it really be enough to cause this? And if so, is there a way to cut all power to these devices while in sleep mode? The ability to wake the computer with the kb/mouse input is not necessary, and unplugging 5 connectors from the computer every time I put it to sleep is not ideal.

Here are my power settings:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Thanks ahead of time!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 26, 2015 6:40 AM

There are no replies.

rMBP (3rd gen) battery drains while asleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.