Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

vertical yellow line appeared on iMac 27" (late 2012)

hey all,

about a week ago when i did a restart of my machine, a yellow vertical line appeared on my screen about a quarter of the way in from the left side. i tried restarting a couple more times and doing a software update, but it's still there (see photo).

it's not effecting the performance of the iMac, but since i'm a designer, it's a pretty big problem for me. thoughts?

thanks in advance,

emilyUser uploaded file

Posted on May 26, 2015 7:04 AM

5 replies

Aug 25, 2015 4:18 AM in response to sofastudios

@sofastudios, did you get this issue resolved? I was curious because I've had a line exactly like yours twice now on my 21,5" 2011 iMac display and both times it disappeared by itself.

The line was positioned just like yours, a quarter in from the left side of the screen. It changed color depending on the background (on a white background it looked yellow and on a dark background it looked blue) and it was not visible on screenshots. The first time it appeared a couple of years ago, when I was still on Mountain Lion, and I tried everything I could think of, performed resets, reinstalled the OS and what not, but after a couple of weeks the line went away by itself. The second time it appeared this June - it showed up over night on the exact same spot like last time and stuck with me until last week (it was just gone one day when I woke up my Mac).

I just wanted to chime in here to share my experience. Back when this happened to me for the first time I was looking for solutions online and all the posts I found basically said "well, hardware failure, that's it, nothing you can do..." and I was close to bringing the Mac in for repair. But, luckily, I had too much work to give the Mac up and a couple of weeks later the line was gone. This time it took a bit longer for the line to disappear, but I just waited it out 😉

vertical yellow line appeared on iMac 27" (late 2012)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.