Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

virus

I thought that Macs didn't get viruses... but maybe I misunderstood. I have never installed any antivirus and I have a MacBook Pro OS X 10.9.5. Then just 5 minutes ago I put an estate agent's website in the safari browser - the address could have been wrong but I assumed it would just pop up a google search with the correct one - and then I had a very strange screen - see attached screenshot. Website was http://mac-virusy.com with a freephone number saying "Reported Phishing - your browser has been compromised. To fix browser redirection issue we recommend you to ask for instant help".

I'm now scared to use my computer! I checked that the Firewall was on... and it wasn't! I don't know when I turned it off - it could have been to share my computer with another mac user... silly me.

What should my next steps be to secure my computer? Obviously I have turned the Firewall on. I thought I was moderately IT savvy but obviously not. HELP!

User uploaded file

Posted on May 26, 2015 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 6:07 AM

It isnt a virus, just an annoying popup message.

Quit or force quit Safari, then restart Safari while holding the Shift key.

Also: never call a number presented or interact with any site presented in these popups.

3 replies

May 26, 2015 6:07 AM in response to SarahRang

It is not a virus. Just scam.

Please never call the number.

1. Force Quit Safari .

Press command + option + esc keys together at the same time.

When Force Quit window appears, select Safari .
Press Force Quit button at the bottom of the window.

2. Relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

3. Go to Safari > Preferences > Security > Privacy

Cookies and website data:

Click “Details” button.

Remove the cookie related to this, if there is one.

4. Download and run adware medic tool

You can also find some info here:

http://www.adwaremedic.com/kb/scampopups.php

virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.