Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing disk password on time capsule problems

I changed the disk password on my time capsule and then went to time machine preferences to reselect the time capsule disk as the backup destination. However, it didn't recognise the old backups stored on the disk (and it therefore wanted to do a full backup again). I therefore changed the time capsule disk password back to what it was but even when I reselected the time capsule disk this time, it still didn't recognise the old backups stored there.

Is there a way of reinstating the old sparsebundle as the time machine backup destination or do I have to start from scratch again? thanks for any advice

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on May 26, 2015 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 9:49 AM

Sorry, but Time Machine is going to start over again with a new, full backup of your Mac and move forward.

If you really don't need the old backups, now might be the time to erase the Time Capsule disk to create maximum space for your new backups going forward. The Quick Erase option will only take a minute or two. Post back if you need more information on how to do this.

If you don't want to erase the older backups, and you need to go back and access a file from them.......try the following test:

Right-Click on the Time Machine "clock" icon on the dock

Click on Browse Other Time Machine Disks

You should be able to click on the "old" backup set now and have them appear in Time Machine

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2015 9:49 AM in response to matt1g

Sorry, but Time Machine is going to start over again with a new, full backup of your Mac and move forward.

If you really don't need the old backups, now might be the time to erase the Time Capsule disk to create maximum space for your new backups going forward. The Quick Erase option will only take a minute or two. Post back if you need more information on how to do this.

If you don't want to erase the older backups, and you need to go back and access a file from them.......try the following test:

Right-Click on the Time Machine "clock" icon on the dock

Click on Browse Other Time Machine Disks

You should be able to click on the "old" backup set now and have them appear in Time Machine

Changing disk password on time capsule problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.