Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Server app hangs

I'm trying to migrate from an old MacPro running 10.6 Server to a newer MacPro and Yosemite Server. Migration assistant moved a lot, but failed to move the OD users, so I'm trying to do that manually. I installed the Yosemite Server app, but when I run it it hangs, saying "Reading Open Directory settings." I let it run ~24 hours before Force Quitting (the only option). I tried the suggestion at (OS X Server (Mavericks): Remove pre-release version before installing OS X Server - Apple Support), but it made no difference. Any suggestions?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 26, 2015 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 11:35 AM

Move the server.app to the trash, wait for the notification that says 'all services have been stopped'.

Then reboot and download the server.app once more from the app store.

When that's done, start the server.app and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, quit server.app and issue:

sudo serveradmin stop dirserv

in the terminal, then start server.app again.

Directory services will be stopped and you could import an OD archive, do you have one available from a backup?

Goodluck

Jeffrey

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2015 11:35 AM in response to ssouzaatwilliams.edu

Move the server.app to the trash, wait for the notification that says 'all services have been stopped'.

Then reboot and download the server.app once more from the app store.

When that's done, start the server.app and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, quit server.app and issue:

sudo serveradmin stop dirserv

in the terminal, then start server.app again.

Directory services will be stopped and you could import an OD archive, do you have one available from a backup?

Goodluck

Jeffrey

May 26, 2015 1:00 PM in response to ssouzaatwilliams.edu

When you open up the timemachine folder, select one of the backup dates.

Go to the terminal and change to your root user.

Type cd and drag that folder in the terminal.

Then type ls and you will see one of the folder is called var

inside that folder there is a folder backups

As root you will find a sparseimage inside that folder containing your OpenDirectory.

Copy that image to your desktop and use that to restore your OpenDirectory.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

May 27, 2015 6:38 AM in response to jepping

That "backups" folder on the TM backup contained no files, so I created an OD archive on the old machine using

sudo slapconfig -backupdb [pathto]/myODarchive

and moved it to the new machine using

sudo slapconfig -restoredb [pathto]/myODarchive.sparseimage

Then reinstalled Server app, and running it got the same result - hangs reading OD settings.

Anything else to try? I'm not looking forward to the [clean-install Yosemite (3rd time), install Server, manually create ~25 users, manually move their contents from the TM archive] process that I see in my near future.

Steve

Yosemite Server app hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.