Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File and folder transfer from PC to Mac

What is the most reliable and recommended method of transferring a terabyte or more of files stored throughout my PC's hard drive in a complex folder and subfolder system to my new iMac? Is it as simple as drag and drop?

The Expert at the Apple Store suggested that I take advantage of their data transfer service, but since I use Gmail, no iTunes, and no photos app, that just leaves the files and folders to transfer. While the $100 fee does not seem overly excessive for such a simple task, I cannot afford down time of two to three days plus to bring my computers to them, and fetch them afterwards.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 26, 2015 9:23 AM

5 replies

May 26, 2015 10:24 AM in response to Rudegar

Thanks Rudegar. I read about the Migration Assistant, but since I use Gmail, no itunes, and I don't want any of my Windows system settings, the only data transfer that it offers that I need is my files and folders. The migration assistant states that "Files from each top-level folder in the logged-in user's home directory will be offered.", well okay, but what about all of the files in the subfolders? And what about the subfolder structure itself?

May 26, 2015 12:54 PM in response to ctc123

ctc123 wrote:

What is the most reliable and recommended method of transferring a terabyte or more of files stored throughout my PC's hard drive in a complex folder and subfolder system to my new iMac? Is it as simple as drag and drop?

It is as simple as drag and drop, however you should strongly consider using Migration Assistant. If you find there is data you need that has not migrated, then a simple drag and drop process is the way to go. Move the data you want onto and external HD, then connect the HD to the iMac and drag it from the EHD to the iMac. You can then re-format the HD and use it as a Time Machine backup HD which you will need anyway!

If you do not have an EHD, I strongly suggest getting a high quality one from OWC. Most experienced users on these forums agree that OWC (www.macsales.com) Mercury Elite Pro series is tough to beat.

May 28, 2015 11:18 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks rfaufman.

As for a Time Machine backup, I was hoping to place that drive in a secure back room as opposed to on the table beside my iMac. My understanding is that would not be an external hard drive, but an NAS or an airport time capsule. All of the Mercury elite Pro drives seem to need to be connected directly to the Computer. Do you have any other recommendations?

May 28, 2015 11:28 AM in response to ctc123

ctc123 wrote:

Thanks rfaufman.

As for a Time Machine backup, I was hoping to place that drive in a secure back room as opposed to on the table beside my iMac. My understanding is that would not be an external hard drive, but an NAS or an airport time capsule. All of the Mercury elite Pro drives seem to need to be connected directly to the Computer. Do you have any other recommendations?

Unfortunately NAS solutions on OS X are less than reliable. Apple does not support NAS's with then exception of Time Capsule, however some NAS's manufacturers purport to support OS X. The issue is the NAS developers often do not keep their software up-to-date so when Apple releases a new release of OS X, the NAS developers (and their end-users in turn) have to install updates otherwise their backup will not work! In short if you want to use TM as your backup solution don't use a NAS UNLESS you use a Time Capsule solution.

File and folder transfer from PC to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.