Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color and Black and White

I have searched for this topic and read several threads (still getting use to this forum).

Mac 10.10.3, Pages 5.5.3

I am doing a newsletter in Pages 5.5.3 which is posted on a web site, and printed. Pdf's are used for both, as I'm the only one in the work flow who uses a Mac.

Usually 8 pages, each page is a section (by advice from Apple care - long story) to allow text boxes and placed images. I'm getting the hang of it, hoping text boxes will one day be able to link to each other.

My issue, however is with color vs black and white. Text is all black, and there are inserted images, both P-shop and .eps files from Illustrator.

The on line pdf is full color, but to save money for printed versions, we print the newsletter with a color cover (page 1) and the rest in B&W. All typing uses standard styles, all colored with the grayscale slider (as recommended in this forum). Likewise drop shadows using a saved style colored with gray - black. When creating the B&W version (saving as a separate file) from the color, all images are reduced to grayscale in P-shop (or Illustrator) beforehand and re-inserted. I've done everything I can think of to keep the pages as grayscale after page 1. But some pages print the images in 4-color gray, but not all images, sometimes only some images in a given page, and not all pages.

I've even made a pdf of the color file, saved a copy and changed to black and white through color controls in Acrobat, then delete the pages after p1 in the color version and re-insert the following pages from the B&W file, and still it happens, randomly, not all the pages or images.

The copier used to print these (a very nice Konica) has the option of "auto" or "black and white only' when printing, and the "auto" function is seeing color somewhere.

I won't list all of the things I've tried, above is the latest. Converting to Word (to use the right click on each image to change to grayscale) won't work as the sections, placed images and text boxes go nuts.

Any suggestions?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 26, 2015 9:38 AM

1 reply

Color and Black and White

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.