Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to get song info in iTunes 12.1.2.27. The instructions say to Click Options The CD options button near the top right of the iTunes window, and choose Get Track Names, but there is no Options near the top right of the window.

I am trying to get song info in iTunes 12.1.2.27. The instructions say to "Click Options The CD options button near the top right of the iTunes window, and choose Get Track Names", but there is no Options near the top right of the window. Can anybody explain how to do this?

iMac

Posted on May 26, 2015 10:26 AM

12 replies

May 27, 2015 8:26 AM in response to beefromballymahon

Hmmm... I don't have a newer iTunes and have never had this exact issue. Maybe somebody else can provide input but I am wondering if it has to compare the actual CD properties rather than ripped tracks. When a CD is used with iTunes the properties are written to the cdib database. Normally they are then compared directly to Gracenote's database and matching possibilities (based on exact track length, count, etc.) are presented for you to select. Earlier iTunes version had to do this at the time of rip but a feature was introduced to do this later too, but I wonder if it is still using the cdib which is not being transferred from computer to computer unless you do that specifically. Ripped files do not always match those properties exactly. I am kind of guessing here if this is the cause of the problem.

You can look into tools such as XLD which may be able to do this differently from iTunes and the Gracenote database.

May 27, 2015 9:07 AM in response to beefromballymahon

The laptop is the computer you used to rip the CDs? If it was it isn't showing on the other computer because the CD data (either in form of the CD itself or the CD database file) isn't present on that computer. iTunes isn't looking at the mp3 files alone. They don't have the complete information for a CD lookup, it has to go by the CD properties which aren't on the second computer.

May 27, 2015 9:30 AM in response to Limnos

Yep, I ripped the cd on the laptop where the options button was present as per the iTunes help instructions (it isn’t there now when I highlight some other unnamed tracks) and the record is all present and correct with names on the laptop iTunes. But I also transferred the mp3s with a memory stick to the main house mac for my daughter to put it on her iPod and then I encountered this problem where there simply was no options button present in the top right of the window. Are you saying it only appears intermittently - i.e. when a cd is being ripped? Otherwise there is no access to the Gracenote database?

May 27, 2015 9:42 AM in response to beefromballymahon

It is only an option for ripped tracks when you are using the computer on which the tracks were ripped. When you transfer the files to the second computer all it has to go on to identify the mp3 files are the properties of the mp3s which is insufficient, so it doesn't even offer to try. Go back to the first computer, connect to the Internet, identify the mp3s, then transfer those to the second computer. They will now have the track information embedded in the file and it will travel with the copied file.

I am trying to get song info in iTunes 12.1.2.27. The instructions say to Click Options The CD options button near the top right of the iTunes window, and choose Get Track Names, but there is no Options near the top right of the window.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.