Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete portions of (rejected) clips from computer in iMovie

Hi, I am trying to permanently delete portions of clips on specific events on iMovie. Looks like I can reject clips, but they stay on the hard drive, and when I try to delete rejected clips it deletes the entire clip (in the event).

This seems like something that everyone would want to do: once you import a clip from the camera, you'd want to discard unused portions.

Is this something Apple is working on to update, or do I need to resort to a third party software to edit video footage?

Thanks everyone!

Posted on May 26, 2015 12:03 PM

2 replies

May 27, 2015 1:43 AM in response to Maestro1827

Unlike earlier versions, in iMovie 10 you cannot delete part of a clip. It is adhering strictly to the concept of 'non-destructive' editing where you keep all your raw video untouched. If you have a lot of footage in a clip that you know you will not use then you have to trim it away before your import into iMovie, for example using Quicktime Player.

Whole clips deleted within iMovie 10 do not appear in the desktop trash can and are actually only deleted when you quit (so up to then you can still undo).

Geoff.

Delete portions of (rejected) clips from computer in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.