Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing Members and FaceTime

I have been searching for hours, but I cannot find the answer to my question anywhere online.

I have two children, under 13, set up with Apple IDs in Family Sharing. I want to allow them to use my FaceTime on my iPad and my MBP, but it won't let me sign them into FaceTime.

They are required to have their own Apple ID for their devices that the school provides. They have used those Apple IDs to communicate with friends. I want to allow them to use FaceTime and iMessage on my iPad without requiring them to give all of their friends my Apple ID. However, I do not want to sign out of my iCloud account on my iPad.

Here are the errors I am receiving:

1) When I use my son's Apple ID (with me signed in to iCloud), it says, "FaceTime Activation This email address cannot be used for FaceTime."

2) When I use another email address that my son has (it is verified through HIS Apple ID) it stays stuck in "Verifying." If I click the option to resend the verification email, I never receive an email.

I do not want to have everything tied to my own Apple ID. I do not see why Family Members' Apple IDs can't be used on my iPad with my Apple ID signed into iCloud. Am I doing something wrong?

iPad, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 26, 2015 10:39 AM

2 replies

Aug 29, 2015 7:19 PM in response to ebkmommy

iOS devices were not designed to handle multiple logins for one thing. This use you are trying to set up will have lots of issues. iDevices were intended to be personal devices only. However, with that said Kindles and the latest Android devices allow multiple logins so maybe Apple will make a change in the future.

Here is an Apple article that should help with the under 13 set up. It works for my under 13's (on their own devices but should work without their own device too if you do enough switching back and forth between accounts on the devices you do have). Family Sharing and Apple IDs for kids - Apple Support

Family Sharing Members and FaceTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.