Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have older pro mac with a dead hard drive

I have early mac pro (Ma356ll/A) , processor Two 2.66hz dual core intel xeon,memory 1gb two 512mb of 667mhz ddr2, hard drive 250 serial ata. I was wondering if i replace the hard and install fresh OS would that work.the apple tech said it was gone,it would just spend.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on May 26, 2015 10:56 AM

4 replies

May 26, 2015 7:20 PM in response to mrsemaj

That is an 8-9 year old computer. Assuming everything else works on it, you would need to invest in a larger hard drive and more RAM memory. When all said and done, you would end up with a slow, outdated processor, slow Wi-Fi and an outdated version of Bluetooth. The most recent version of Mac OS X system software that can be installed on that machine is OS X 10.7.5. The current OS X is 10.10.3.

IMHO, you'll be investing more money in a machine that is simply out of date. You should look into newer models of iMac or Mac mini, even if you can only afford used models.

May 27, 2015 6:35 AM in response to lllaass

You can get 4x2GB for $45 though, or fill all DIMMs to get 16GB for almost half that.

There are good FBDIMMs that do work on ebay, I keep seeing links on Mac Pro forum on MacRumors.

Throw in $70 128GB Samsung EVO 850 ($98 250GB is a better value) makes a world of difference.

Yes it will be 9 years old come August but mine is running better now that it ever did. Use Firefox instead of Safari to stay current on web browser.

I have older pro mac with a dead hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.