Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Access Account in Messages

Suddenly, I cannot access my account on Messages from my MacBook Pro. Messages works fine from my iMac, iPhone 5, iPad. Tried deleting and restoring account, but no help. Please...

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 26, 2015 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 1:17 PM

Hi,

Exactly what symptoms are you having ?

Some see the account as apparently Logged in but each and every Contact tried goes Red and Says they are "Not Registered with iMessages".

Others see iMessages as sent but instantly they get a "Not Delivered" alert message underneath it.

Sometime the issue is at the the server end (the symptoms will point to that) and there is no easy fix for the End user.

User uploaded file

9:17 pm Tuesday; May 26, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2015 1:17 PM in response to HoffDawg

Hi,

Exactly what symptoms are you having ?

Some see the account as apparently Logged in but each and every Contact tried goes Red and Says they are "Not Registered with iMessages".

Others see iMessages as sent but instantly they get a "Not Delivered" alert message underneath it.

Sometime the issue is at the the server end (the symptoms will point to that) and there is no easy fix for the End user.

User uploaded file

9:17 pm Tuesday; May 26, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

May 26, 2015 5:13 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I Have the same issue all of a sudden on my 2007 Mbp 10.10.3 - works fine on iMac and iPad. Says not delivered when sending and stating new message with my wife's email say not registered with iMessage when I know it is as I tested with iPad. Signed out of iMessage no changelogged out of iCloud then back in again still same issue can not send or receive. Server issue ? User issue? Settings are same and same account on both mbp and iMac. Frustrating it is

May 27, 2015 10:19 AM in response to Yorick2a

Do a backup.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/

com.apple.iChat.plist and com.apple.imagent.plist. Move the .plists to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plists from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plists to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

May 27, 2015 12:36 PM in response to Yorick2a

Hi,

Start with what Eric says. These two .plists hold account info about the app.

If that does not help check the Apple Icon Menu > About this Mac

Click twice on the line that tells you the current OS

It will change to the build number and then show the Serial Number.

If the Serial Number is present go to Applications/Utilities and open the Keychain Access item

Have Login set top left and Passwords lower left.

In the right hand pane look for the items that start IDS.

one will be IDS: yourAppleIDemail-AuthToken where yourAppleIDemail is the Apple ID used in iMessages.

Delete this items and restart Messages.

This should cause Messages to refresh it's details about the Login to the server.

If it is recreated it may be enough to kick start the account again.

More likely is it will return to the current state (partial login) where you cannot send iMessages but appear to be logged in.

If this happens it tends to prove the issue is at the Server end.

If this appears to be the case you have to contact Apple Support and explain you have an Accounts issue (Free to Fix).

Most likely you will have to ask for a level 2 person as unfortunately the Level one people can be a bot too much led by the scripts they work from (Aimed and Hardware and Software issues and Apple Care and payment).

User uploaded file

8:36 pm Wednesday; May 27, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Cannot Access Account in Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.