Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extend wifi network using non apple router?

I have a spare Belkin router at my home from the yesteryears. I would like to extend my airport extremes wireless network with the Belkin router, wirelessly. Is it possible?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 13 inch, i5, 256 GB SSD, 2013

Posted on May 26, 2015 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 12:44 PM

Apple uses proprietary settings for their "extend a wireless network" function, which are designed to only work with other Apple routers.

So, it would be extremely unlikely that a Belkin router....or any other third product for that matter.....would be compatible with your AirPort router for the purpose that you want.

It could not hurt to try, if you have the time though. There are no settings at all on the Airport router that would allow it to be extended, so everything that you try will have to be done on the Belkin router.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2015 12:44 PM in response to AceNeerav

Apple uses proprietary settings for their "extend a wireless network" function, which are designed to only work with other Apple routers.

So, it would be extremely unlikely that a Belkin router....or any other third product for that matter.....would be compatible with your AirPort router for the purpose that you want.

It could not hurt to try, if you have the time though. There are no settings at all on the Airport router that would allow it to be extended, so everything that you try will have to be done on the Belkin router.

May 26, 2015 1:16 PM in response to AceNeerav

Router Mode controls both DHCP and NAT.

Access Point turns off both DHCP and NAT. This is also known as Bridge Mode.

DHCP Mode controls DHCP, but NAT is turned off.

if i manage a wired connection to the belkin router, what mode do i need to put it in?

Access Point. Configure the Belkin to use the exact same wireless network name, exact same wireless network security setting, and exact same wireless network password as the AirPort router.

You already know the name of the AirPort wireless network and password. The AirPort is using WPA2 Personal wireless security, unless you have changed the setting. WPA2 Personal is also known as WPA2--PSK--AES on some routers.

May 26, 2015 1:33 PM in response to AceNeerav

when does one use dhcp mode? What is its use case scenario?

The most common use would be if you had a bank of fixed IP addresses to use from your Internet Service Provider. Rarely used these days, since there is a shortage of Public IP addresses.

what do i do when i want to use the internet connection connected to my AE but have an entirely different wifi network, say in another room?

Set up the Access Point to use a different wireless network name and password than the AirPort.

Extend wifi network using non apple router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.