Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A call to my iPhone popped up on my computer as a FaceTime call?

I have never seen this happen before, so thought I query it here.

My older daughter, who is currently in Alaska, called my iPhone from her iPhone last week. I was sitting at my dining table using my MacBook Air, with my iPhone a few feet away from me in my purse. The odd thing was that my laptop also began ringing, showing a notification from FaceTime that I had an incoming call.

I answered my iPhone and asked my daughter if she was using FaceTime to call me, but she said no, just a regular phone call. Btw: we are not on the same carrier - she's with AT&T and I'm with T-Mobile. The only person who I've ever called, or been called by, using FaceTime is my older daughter, but I've never had this happen before. When I told her what had happened, she said she's seen the same thing a couple of time too, just after getting anew Mac computer at work. Neither of us could explain it.

Why did this happen and is there a way to stop it?

Is this some sort of bug in FaceTime?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on May 26, 2015 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 11:42 AM

It's not a bug. It's a feature called Continuity.

See here: https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/continuity/

12 replies

May 26, 2015 12:00 PM in response to JimHdk

Very helpful to know, as I wasn't aware of this feature. Will pass this on to my daughter too. It is useful, since I don't always have my iPhone near me, but will it happen with every call, or do I need to be signed into iCloud on my laptop at the time?

I'm not always signed in, which is why I ask.

I haven't seen it work for texts though, just that one phone call. I know that my emails show up on both devices, but not the texts, and most calls to my iPhone do not ring my laptop too, so I don't quite understand why it only happened the one time.

May 26, 2015 12:10 PM in response to schoodle

Ok, I read what it's all supposed to do. I guess I will just need to fiddle around and see how it works.

First, I need to check which WiFi both my iPhone and laptop are connected to. Seems they need to be on the same one, and since I have more than one wifi here, I need to sync them to the same one. At some point, I try out the features from my laptop, such as sending a text, etc.

May 26, 2015 7:40 PM in response to schoodle

Wow, my typing isn't so good today. Too many typos. Oh well 😝

So, when this simultaneous ringing thing happened, I wasn't signed into iCloud on my laptop, and my devices were not on the same Wifi network either. I have now put my iPhone on the same WiFi network that my laptop and Mac Mini are on. I'm going to test it by having a few people call me. Will see if it happens again.

May 26, 2015 9:47 PM in response to JimHdk

I put both devices on the same WiFi network this evening, then called my iPhone from my home phone and the simultaneous ringing thing did not happen on my laptop. When it did happen last week, it came up on my computer as a FaceTime call, it didn't look anything like the picture on Apple's website about this feature.

According to the Continuity instructions on Apple's site, I can also make a call from my computer by "Simply tap or click a phone number in Contacts,...". So, I tried that with several numbers and they all failed. Same thing happened when I tried the SMS feature, complete failure. Also, I couldn't just tap or click on a phone number in my contacts either to do either calling or texting. I had to actually click on the word next to the phone number (which usually says Mobile, Work or Home) to get a drop down menu to either place a call or send a text. Then I saw a notification come up on my computer that said the person's name and "using your iPhone" while trying to make a call, yet all the calls still failed.

This whole Continuity thing is so broken! I just don't get how it happened before, or why it isn't working now, even though I changed the WiFi settings to be the same on both laptop and iPhone for the experiments. I've now put my iPhone back to the WiFi network it's generally connected to and tried the experiment again. One call seemed to be trying to connect, but I heard no ringing and no one ever answered. Again... broken feature.

Lastly, I know for a fact that when the simultaneous ringing event happened with my laptop and iPhone, my iPhone and laptop were not on the same WiFi network, and I wasn't connected to iCloud either. Except for the experiment tonight, I have never had my iPhone on the same WiFi network as my computers, because my newer WiFi network is reserved for my computers so they can do their backing up when they are scheduled to, without interference from phone calls that go over WiFi too.

Jun 29, 2015 7:27 PM in response to schoodle

The link was not intended as a "Continuity Offer". It was intended to provide you with the information you need to turn off Continuity so when you get calls on your phone, you don't get them on a Mac or other iOS device that is signed onto the same iCloud account:

Turn off iPhone cellular calls

To turn off iPhone cellular calls on your iPad or iPod touch, go to Settings > FaceTime and turn off iPhone Cellular Calls.

On your Mac, open the FaceTime app and go to FaceTime > Preferences. Click Settings and deselect the iPhone Cellular Calls option.

If you are running iOS 8 on your iOS devices, and Yosemite on your Mac, and you do not want your phone calls sent or accessible by all devices, you have to turn off iPhone Cellular Calls in the FaceTime preferences to prevent it.

Cheers,

GB

A call to my iPhone popped up on my computer as a FaceTime call?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.