Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The sounds for text, new voicemail, new mail and sent mail no longer work for my iphone 5

The sounds for text, new voicemail, new mail and sent mail don't work for my iPhone 5S. The mute button is NOT on, and I turned the phone off and back on, and it' still a problem. All other sounds, phone call, alarm, work.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 26, 2015 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 11:16 AM

Check the status bar to see if Do Not Disturb is turned on. Do you see a small crescent moon icon near the battery icon? If you unlock the screen and press the volume buttons, does it display ringer on the screen, or something else?

4 replies

May 26, 2015 1:47 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

First, I checked I settings and the Do Not Disturb Manual button was turned button was on, so I turned it off. There is no small crescent moon near the battery icon, whether the Do Not Disturb Manual button is turned off or on.

When I press the volume button, the ringer does display on screen and shows full volume.

Since I changed the Do Not Disturb Manual button off, on and off again, I turned off my iphone. When I turned the phone back on, the Manual button was turned on, and, when I read the blurb below the Manual button, it appears it should be on, and it doesn't affect the sounds, since the phone still rings when I get a call. I just don't get any sound for texts, new voicemail, new mail, sent mail, lock sounds or keyboard clicks.

I connected my earbuds, and I can hear all of the sounds I've chosen for texts, new voicemail, etc.

Thank you for your help. Do you have any other suggestions?

May 26, 2015 1:55 PM in response to DeboraWood

Well, the Manual button should only be on if Do Not Disturb is turned on. Now, if you turned if off and it turned back on again, do you have scheduled turned on and a schedule set that includes the time right now? If you are getting calls when it is on, do you have Allow Calls from set to something other than No One? If you are receiving a phone call ring, but no other sounds, then I would look at the sound settings in Notifications. But you are saying when you tap on the volume buttons it does not display headphones, unless they are plugged in?

I'm puzzled by the fact that Do Not Disturb is turned on and you are still receiving phone calls, and nothing else. With Do Not Disturb turned on All alerts are silenced. If you scroll down on the screen, under Silence, where it says Always and Only while iPhone is locked, what has a checkmark beside it? And, when you said you got a phone call, was the screen locked or not?

May 26, 2015 9:46 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you for all your thoughts and ideas. After my turning the manual button on/off and turning the phone on/off/on, all the sounds came back several hours later!

So, it spontaneously reset, and it all works now; no idea why.

Here are my responses to your questions about the Do Not Disturb setting:

I do not have a schedule set that turns on Do Not Disturb and the "Scheduled" button is not on. My "Allow Call from" is set for everyone.

I was able to hear all of the various Sounds for text, etc., earlier today, only when I used my earbuds. Otherwise, the only sound that worked was when I received a call.

In the "Do Not Disturb" screen, it says under Silence:

"Only while iPhone is locked" is checked; not "always".

My screen was not locked when I received the phone calls, so I assume that the check next to "Only while iPhone is locked" was and is working.

These intermittent issues drive me crazy, and I'm just thankful that it all "fixed itself".

Again, thank you for all your support. I really appreciate it!

The sounds for text, new voicemail, new mail and sent mail no longer work for my iphone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.