Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing Photos from iPhoto Time Capsule Back Up to new Photos app

I recently upgraded the operating system on my macbook pro because the memory was full and it was running slow. Rather than using migration assistant to import the massive amount of files I had, I'm trying to selectively import only what I need. Mainly my iTunes library, all of my photos from my old iPhoto, and a few select documents and files. I have the iTunes import running fine. I've imported my documents, But I can't seem to find or access my iPhoto library to import my pictures into the new photos app. My music and photos are backed up on my time capsule rather than the cloud because I just have too much of both 😉 (well I have ~my last 1,000 or so images in the cloud but that's it).

Anyways, when I access my time machine backups I go into the user account and when I select the pictures folder, the iPhoto icon appears but it is grey-ed out and I can't seem to locate a folder containing the images I want. Can anyone help? Is there another way to access the iPhotos images? Am I in the wrong folder path? I obviously can't export the library to an external hard drive etc. because this is the same computer that's been wiped so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-M.A.

User uploaded file

Specs:

MacBook Pro 13 inch circa 2010 - Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Originally running OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard", Now running OS X 10.10 "Yosemite"

Originally Using iPhoto 9.6 (I think, not sure of exact update), Now using Photos version 1.0

Time Capsule is 802.11n (4th generation) 1TB connected via home internet network

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 26, 2015 2:43 PM

3 replies

May 26, 2015 2:58 PM in response to mas185

when I access my time machine backups I go into the user account and when I select the pictures folder, the iPhoto icon appears but it is grey-ed out and I can't seem to locate a folder containing the images I want. Can anyone help?

That would be because it is not possible to "browse" individual images in the backup of the iPhoto Library.

You have to "restore" the entire library and then use iPhoto to access the images that you want.

Try right-click on the iPhoto Library in Time Machine then click "Restore To...." and select a destination like the desktop for the iPhoto Library.

You really have iPhoto specific questions here.....so you should post in the iPhoto support forum if you have additional questions.....as we are not iPhoto experts here. The link is just below.

iPhoto for Mac

May 26, 2015 4:21 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the response, the problem is the new OS doesn't have iPhoto which is why this is a problem and I didn't post there ... When I tried your right click suggestion on the iPhoto Library restore wasn't an option. But I figured out if I right clicked then selected "show package contents" there were two folders called "Modified" and "Originals" which I drag and dropped into my hard drive. Hopefully now I'll be able to import them to the new photos app when they're done transferring ... in like 9 hours haha. So thanks for the help I think I've figured it out!

-M.A.

Importing Photos from iPhoto Time Capsule Back Up to new Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.