Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PLEASE HELP: where is the ambient air sensor on MBP mid 2012?

I have a 13 in. MBP mid 2012 and the fan runs crazy all the time. I did reset the SMC but it didn't help. When I check temp. CPU and everything is fine but the ambient temp. is 102 !! I ran apple diagonistics and it gave me the 4SNS TAO error which is to do with ambient air sensor. the only issue is that where is the ambient air sensor located? How can I fix it and what should I buy. Is there anyone who can help me with this? I searched google and all but there was no answer. I cant afford to have the thing fixed by Apple and I really need help. I use this Macbook for work.

I think I should mention that I changed the ram to 16gb and HDD to SSD a couple of weeks ago if that is in anyways related.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 26, 2015 3:35 PM

7 replies

May 27, 2015 4:07 AM in response to armin73

How did you check the temperature?

The error code indicates that a temperature sensor has failed, which may cause the fan to overwork.

It is unlikely that you can fix it yourself, unless you're highly proficient technologically. I would take it to Apple for a free evaluation. Apple - Support - Search

In Activity Monitor > CPU, are there any processes hogging the CPU?

Also, try starting in Safe mode by holding down the Shift key while starting, and see if the fans are overworking there.

May 27, 2015 4:29 AM in response to armin73

DO you think the ambient air sensor is the one attached to the HDD cable?

I don't know. However, if this started happening after you changed the RAM and startup disk, maybe you should open up the computer again and make sure all the clip in connectors are secure.

Also, when you touch the computer, does it feel very hot?

PLEASE HELP: where is the ambient air sensor on MBP mid 2012?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.