Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto to Photos

When Apple changed iPhoto to Photos, did your iPhoto Library disappear without warning? Mine seems to have. Nice.i

Posted on May 26, 2015 2:55 PM

9 replies

May 27, 2015 1:52 AM in response to LarryHN

Yes, I discovered this when I was downloading something else and I suddenly noticed I had far more free hard-drive space then usual. I did as complete a search as I know how for the iPhoto library, it is nowhere. Not in Pictures, not anywhere else. Fortunately, it's on my backup drives, but I resent deeply Apple's furtive activity on what I thought was my computer.

May 27, 2015 3:44 AM in response to Zipkin

Fortunately, it's on my backup drives, but I resent deeply Apple's furtive activity on what I thought was my computer.

1. You demonstrate the value of a solid backup procedure.

2. If your iPhoto Library was removed this was not by design but a glitch of some kind. It might not even have been caused by the update, but by some other factors coincidental to the update, including user error. Millions (and millions) of people update the OS and have no such problem, so unless you think that Apple have a reason for targeting you among millions, you might get more value from trying to figure out what went wrong on your machine. It's also not good to spread FUD when you have no idea at all what went wrong.

3. If you paid for it, it's your machine. Apple do nothing "furtive" on it. You choose to upgrade, or not. It's all your choice.

May 27, 2015 5:05 AM in response to Yer_Man

If you re-read my original post, I was asking if anyone else had this experience, I was not assuming Apple was targeting me individually. But you will admit it's hard for an individual to have deleted his/her entire iPhoto Library accidentally. I can't conceive of any normal action that would have that result, can you?

May 27, 2015 9:56 AM in response to Old Toad

What I figured out is that this didn't happen when Photos was originally installed as part of an update. I imported pix from both iPhone and DSLR since then with no problem, although irked by the absence of my identifying Events. This just happened after the last Software Update, which, as I recall, was a couple of weeks ago, and only had an Update or Ignore choice, no details or info available.

I do have my photos on an external drive, but I'm not sure what to do with them. If I re-import them into iPhoto, the same thing might happen on the next update, and eventually Apple's killing of iPhoto endangers the future of that library. I'm open to suggestions.

iPhoto to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.