Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No apple IDs needed for iPad management in schools?

Our school is preparing to expand its 1:1 program with iPads next year. It has been a challenge managing so many devices especially when students need to remember their apple ID. I heard rumor that Apple was planning to do away with the need for Apple IDs for education. This was back in March. I wanted to know if anyone has updated information on this. Will it be available before next August? We are looking into batch creating Apple IDs but don't want to if there is going to be a way to manage devices without the use of apple id. We are currently managing with Profile Manager and students are required to have their own Apple ID. We have a mix of iPad2, iPad4, and Air all running iOS8.

Posted on May 26, 2015 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 2:53 AM

Unfortunately no one knows anything more, except for they are planning to do it. The time frame they gave was they would like to have it in the fall this year, but I am sure that will be pushed back. I'm hoping to hear some details at the WWDC though.

5 replies

May 27, 2015 10:46 AM in response to rccharles

Hey rccharles,

To clarify, with DEP, VPP, and MDM, an Apple ID is still required by the end user. The end user needs to receive a VPP invitation from the school/organization where he/she registers using his/her Apple ID. Once registered and enrolled, the MDM can deploy apps to the user (silently if device is Supervised). Currently the only way a device doesn't (directly) need an Apple ID is with Apple Configurator The piece that kwessel is referring to is a (quiet) rumor that has been circulating for several weeks now regarding OTA app distribution via MDM without Apple IDs. It is possible that we will be hearing more about it at WWDC. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

~Joe

No apple IDs needed for iPad management in schools?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.