Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

xserve constant yellow light

Hello,

I am having a problem with an xserve. It was acquired with 4gb of ram (4x1) and 2 quad core 3.0Ghx Intel Xeon E5472 processors. It was working just fine, except the battery clip near a pci-e slot is broken, so it won't recognize a battery (watch size) it was working fine by keeping power supplied to it 24/7 while off to keep the smc settings. Now, the power was dissconected for an hour, so the smc has reset. When I try to boot, it is like all is going well, except there is always the system identifier light on, not blinking or flashing, but constantly on without flashing. also, the POST lights at the back no longer light up. There is no signal sent to the display with mini-dvi and it is running 10.7.5 client, not server, but I have installed the fan control thing (hwmond). It has an apple official 80gb hdd and a pci-e LSI 1068e controller for 4 sas drives externally. It also has a pci-e video card I had laying around for better gpu support (officially supported, but pc version) Nvidia tesla C2050, one dvi output) I have tried removing the lsi 1068e and the nvidia gpu in different combinations and also dissconecting the internal controller in all combinations possible and ram, but nothing changes. Is it a bad cpu? All I know is that CPU 2 heatsink was replaced from the copper (sort of brown) to a silver (?)heatsink, but all else is the same. Should I try removing the cpu under the replaced heatsink? I have no idea what to do next. I have also pressed some buttons in the mobo (one said sys reset, smc reset, power, and syspwrgd reset) but nothing. I have provided as many details as I could. Please help.

Any Macs running OS X 10.0 to 10.9-OTHER

Posted on May 26, 2015 3:37 PM

There are no replies.

xserve constant yellow light

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.