Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

revert to iPhoto from photo

I have been using photo for a few weeks and it stinks. I have read all the posts from others but am still confused. When I try to open iPhoto I get and error: "your iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it. iPhoto can try to repair the permissions." Then I can repair or quit. I tried repair and that didn't fix anything.

I am trying to make a slide show and have now worked on it for over a week and I am still at step 1. Nothing should be this hard.

Thanks for the help.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 26, 2015 3:18 PM

9 replies

May 26, 2015 3:59 PM in response to DanMccarter

With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e.:

• what system are you running?
  • are you runnning iPhoto or Photos? In your post you say
    "I have been using photo for a few weeks" then you say "When I try to open iPhoto I get and error: "your iPhoto Library is locked". So which is it?
  • if iPhoto what version are you using?
  • what happens when you try to launch the application?
  • what is "Step 1"?
  • what fixes have you tried?
  • where is your library located?
  • it it's on an external hard drive how is that drive formatted?
  • are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?
  • what type of Mac?
  • how much free space on your boot drive?

If you can run iPhoto do the following:

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down to open the First Aid window. Be sure to follow the circled recommendation in the screenshot.

User uploaded file

2 - apply Option #4, Rebuild Database.

User uploaded file

May 27, 2015 3:28 AM in response to Old Toad

I am on OS 10.10.3, I have migrated all my photos in iPhotos to Photo and I hate it. I am no longer using iPhoto but would like to go back to it.

when I try to open iPhoto I get the error "your iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it. iPhoto can try to repair the permissions." Then I can repair or quit. Since I can't open iPhoto I can't see the version number but All my Software is on the latest release.

I am trying to create a slide show in Photo and am having a lot of difficulty. Step one is clicking on create a slide show and that works fine step 2 is where all the problems begin When I try to choose photos I can only get to the moments screen. While all my photos are in folders and in date order for the show.

So I choose a group from the moments screen and that is fine. I go back to choose another group and it puts the second group in front of the first group. So I tried working backwards getting the last group and the second to last but that didn't work either.

I have not tried any fixes on iPhoto except to run the repair program that comes up with the error message. The wheel started turning nothing happened.

My library is located on an external disk. I have multiple libraries and have two copies of each one. One set of copies is for iPhoto the other for Photo. My photos have been on an external disk for 5 or 6 years with no problems. The disks are formatted in Mac Os Extended (Journaled) and was verified a few minutes ago and is good.

I do not know what a managed or Reference library means.

I am on a 27 inch Imac

all my data is located on external disks and there is nothing on my internal disk except the system and programs, The internal disk has a capacity of 999.9 GB and has 680.9 available The external disk where data is stored (including Music and Pictures) has a capacity of 1.99 TB and has 1.77 available

May 27, 2015 3:46 AM in response to DanMccarter

when I try to open iPhoto I get the error "your iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it. iPhoto can try to repair the permissions." Then I can repair or quit. Since I can't open iPhoto I can't see the version number but All my Software is on the latest release.

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

May 31, 2015 9:11 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence,

This looks good for restoring a complete iPhoto library as Dan requested. I am wanting to do something similar but in my case I had imported a few more photos to "Photos" that were not in my iPhoto library and cleared them off the cameras and other sources. This is all being done as an experiment so the numbers are small. The iPhoto library has 61 photos. Photos has 303. I didn''t notice a way to export all 303 so that a simple import into iPhoto would work.

May 31, 2015 9:21 AM in response to pamela.parks

Answering my own question...

Photos is able to export a large number of images at once. The trick was to select all of the images first then look for File>Export. There are two options, one to export the original and the other to set the quality of the images/videos and select some other information. Since I didn't add anything to these files I am guessing exporting of the original will result in the maximum amount of data coming across.

Jun 28, 2015 1:18 PM in response to RickH_Oxford

Photo was not deleted from your hard drive, only removed from the Dock. If you have iPhoto 9.6.1 you can still use your iPhoto library. If you don't have that version but some earlier version of 9.x try following Terence Devlin's instructions in this post to obtain iPhoto 9.6.1 from the App Store:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

revert to iPhoto from photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.