Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer will not recognize my iphone.

Windows 8 will not recognize my iPhone and I am at a loss of what to do. When I open iTunes it recognizes my iphone and I can work with it in iTunes. But I would like to get my other stuff off my phone such as photos.

When I go into devices and printers my iphone is not there. It does however say Apple mobile device USB driver under unspecified. When I try to update the driver it is grayed out and will not do anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

iPhone 5s

Posted on May 26, 2015 7:47 PM

1 reply

May 28, 2015 2:35 PM in response to shobo9

Hello there, shobo9.

When your phone is not recognized by your computer for importing photos, the following Knowledge Base article provides some great in-depth steps for troubleshooting:

iOS: Unable to import photos to computer - Apple Support

If you are still experiencing the issue after reviewing the initial recommendations, there are more particular instructions for Windows 8:

Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8

1. Connect the device to the computer.
  2. Quit iTunes if it launches.
  3. Open the Device Manager:
    Windows Vista and Windows 7: In the Start menu, right-click Computer and choose Properties. Click Device Manager in the upper-left corner. The Device Manager window should open.
    Windows 8: Move the cursor to the upper-right corner, click the magnifying glass, type devmgmt.msc, and press Return. The Device Manager window should open.
  4. Click the plus ➕ icon (or disclosure triangle for Windows 7 and Windows 8) next to "Portable Devices", "Imaging devices" or "Other devices" to expand these selections.
  5. Locate an entry representing the iOS device as a camera. This may say any of the following:
    • iPhone
    • Apple iPhone
    • iPod
    • Apple iPod
    • iPad
    • Apple iPad
    • Digital Still Camera
  6. If any of these entries exists, ensure that they correspond with the iOS device by disconnecting and reconnecting the iOS device. The entry should disappear when the iOS device is disconnected, and reappear when reconnected. You may also see "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section. Leave this entry alone. If you do not see any camera entries corresponding with the iOS device, skip this section, and test on a different computer.
    Note: If you see a camera entry that does not disappear when your iOS device is disconnected, it likely represents another camera device, such as your computer's built-in web cam. Do not modify it.
  7. Right-click on the camera entry representing the iOS device and choose Properties. If there is an error code, see this Microsoft article for more details on troubleshooting this issue.

If you are instructed to reinstall the driver, or if the error code is not listed in the above article, reinstall the camera driver using these steps:

1. Right-click the iOS device's camera entry in Device Manager and choose Update Driver Software from the shortcut menu.
  2. In the Hardware Update Wizard that appears, click "Search automatically for updated driver software."
  3. Windows searches for updated drivers and installs any it finds. If Windows is unable to find updated drivers on its own, continue with step 4.
  4. Click Back.
  5. Select "Browse my computer for driver software."
  6. Type the following in the "Search for driver software in this location" field:
    C:\Windows\System32
    Select "Include subfolders."
    Note:
    If Windows is installed on a drive letter other than C, enter the appropriate drive letter in the path.
  7. Click Next. Windows searches this location for drivers and installs any it finds.
    Note: During installation, if a message appears stating that the software you are installing "has not passed Windows Logo testing", click Continue Anyway to continue installing the drivers.

Thanks for being a part of Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards,

Pedro.

My computer will not recognize my iphone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.