Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drive speed requirements for AVCHD?

Alright now I know everyone says FW800 is no good these days, but I am only editing 2 streams of 25mbit avchd from a 7200rpm FW800 drive. I'm not doing any graphics or anything, just simple editing with some light color correction. It plays back pretty much no problem and I'm getting around 60MB/s read / write right now. I'm wondering if I get the RAID thunderbolt rugged drive from lacie which is supposedly supposed to be around 240MB/s read / write, would I even notice a difference?

Posted on May 26, 2015 5:21 PM

2 replies

May 27, 2015 5:29 AM in response to Brian 2

You can check the throughput of the FW drive with one of the free speed tests that are available from manufacturers like AJA and Blackmagic, If it's comfortably over 60 MB/s, what Luis said. OTH, not all drives are created equal. I have a 2 TB G-Tech that cannot come close to 60 while another G-Tech is very "fast" (for a FW drive, that is). Worth checking.

Russ

Drive speed requirements for AVCHD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.