Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my old iPhoto Library migrate to Photos?

I updated the software on my Macbook Air because every time I tried to open the iPhoto app, I got a message saying it was out of date and I needed to download a newer version. This newer version turned out to be the Photos app...

Once I opened Photos, I noticed that none of the pictures from my old iPhoto Library showed up. I tried to find a way to import my old iPhoto Library, but I kept getting a message saying that the library was already "migrated" to the Photos app.

All of my photos were saved to my iPhoto Library, so how come none of them are showing up in the Photos app if they were all migrated?

I'm kind of freaking out here... please help! 😢

Thanks in advance!!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 26, 2015 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 7:51 PM

No, Photos is not an updated iPhoto. These are two entirely separate apps. Your iPhoto Library remains on your drive and is perfectly usable. To update IPhoto to 9.6.1 follow these instructions.

How to get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X10.10.3. prepared by Barney-15E: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8431

WHy is your new Photos Library empty? The migration process is very slow, it might not have completed yet, and needs more time. Or, if you have multiple iPhoto Libraries, it migrated the wrong one.

If you're not sure, check your Users > (you) > Pictures folder to see what's there. To select a specific Library in iPhoto and Photos, hold down the Option key when launching the app.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2015 7:51 PM in response to jaacckiee

No, Photos is not an updated iPhoto. These are two entirely separate apps. Your iPhoto Library remains on your drive and is perfectly usable. To update IPhoto to 9.6.1 follow these instructions.

How to get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X10.10.3. prepared by Barney-15E: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8431

WHy is your new Photos Library empty? The migration process is very slow, it might not have completed yet, and needs more time. Or, if you have multiple iPhoto Libraries, it migrated the wrong one.

If you're not sure, check your Users > (you) > Pictures folder to see what's there. To select a specific Library in iPhoto and Photos, hold down the Option key when launching the app.

Why won't my old iPhoto Library migrate to Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.