Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Huge bug that shuts off phones

i was sitting on the couch studing my computer science books when all a sudden my phone turned off for no reason, later to figure out I received a text (which will be listed below) by this simple text you can turn off someone's phone (risk try at your own may take 2 tries). Anyways Apple please fix this (phones may varie)

Anyways this could lead to something bad, please fix?

http://imgur.com/yLlJq0u

sorry for the link wouldn't let me post the characters used for the text

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.3, Any iPhone with iOS 8

Posted on May 26, 2015 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 5:34 PM

Had the same problem

A string of text sent in a message Crashes Iphone

8 replies

May 26, 2015 9:20 PM in response to martin6423

I work for a call center for a large cell phone company, our call centers are being hammered with this issue.

A less invasive workaround we've found is to have the victim send a picture message (started via Photos app) back to the original sender, which seems to restore the Messages app functionality, then *immediately* delete the entire conversation with the original sender.

May 28, 2015 7:05 AM in response to martin6423

I have tried almost all the solutions, like sending more messages back to the sender or sending messages to yourself via Notes, etc

But the Best and quick solution is to simply delete all the text messages completely. (Only this solution worked for me, the others did not)

[Note: This will delete all your messages]

Use the Settings app to go to Settings > Messages > Keep Messages, and select 30 Days. Press delete when it says that any messages before 30 days will be deleted (In this way, that defecting message will also be deleted)

Then, go to Settings > General > Date & Time and uncheck Set Automatically (if it applies). Then manually change the date to one at least 31 days later. An easy way is to change the year to 2016.

After that, launch Messages and enjoy

[Note: Technically this should do the job, but if still it does not, then do this]

If it doesn’t open, then again go to Settings > Messages > Keep Messages and swap between the option of “30 days” and “1 year” , and then turn again to 30 days”. Press delete when it says that your previous messages will be deleted, as a result that defecting message will also be deleted.

Huge bug that shuts off phones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.