Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canopus ADVC-110 DV/analog converter , flickering and black and white

Hello, I have a Canopus ADVC-110 DV/analog converter that bought eight years ago, which used to work fine with my PowerBook G4. I haven't used it for over five years, so the other day I found some vhs I wanted to convert and plugged the Canopus ADVC-110 to my iMac using FireWire 400 to FireWire 800 cable and was not recognized by my iMac. So, I tried on my MacBook Pro and still no luck. The iMac and my MacBook Pro are both running Mavericks. I pulled out my old PowerBook G4 I try to connect with FireWire 400 cable, still no luck. I pulled out my old PowerBook G4 I try to connect with FireWire 400 cable, so, all 3 computers are not detecting the Canopus.

i tried the front 4 pin FireWire port and all 3 detected it. (using an external power source to the Canopus) However, the picture was black and white and its Flickering. More like a VHS Player that needs tracking.

I tought it was my vhs player and tried it connecting it to a DVD player, but same result.

I've swapped all cables and I don't thing it's a cable issue.

any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on May 26, 2015 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 3:36 AM

the picture was black and white and its Flickering.

That is usually a sign of a bad cable connection. You need a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable.

15 replies

May 27, 2015 7:47 AM in response to Klaus1

I'Ve tried to power it with two different power supply. It gets power. But the same issue. I also tried to power it with FireWire 400 using my PowerBook G4 while I'm connected to my MacBook using the 4 pin. No luck. The voltage and the amp is 5 volts 2A.

It is really frustrating. I was thinking about buying another one but the price is as high as it was 10 years ago.

May 27, 2015 8:14 AM in response to dereje100

Copied this from an FAQ on the Canopus forum:

Problem: The captured video is black and white. What's wrong?

Solution 1: Check that the NTSC/PAL switch matches the type of video you are capturing. For PAL, you might have to set the NTSC Setup Level to the '0 IRE' setting. Note that for ADVC300, the IRE Setup Level switch also doubles as the PAL/SECAM input toggle in PAL mode.

Solution 2: If you are connecting to the source using S-Video, verify that the S-Video cable is okay. S-Video carries brightness and color information on separate lines, so if the color line is broken, the signal will be black and white.

Solution 3: If you are connecting the source using S-Video through a SCART adapter, verify that your source device is sending a S-Video signal through the SCART connection. Not all devices do, and not all devices do in all cases.

Solution 4: If you are playing an NTSC tape in a PAL deck, note that not all decks output a true NTSC (NTSC 3.58) signal. Many PAL decks play NTSC tapes as NTSC 4.43, which most PAL display devices can handle. The ADVC units require a true NTSC 3.58 signal, and the output of the ADVC units in NTSC mode is a NTSC 3.58 signal. So for input, your source device should be sending NTSC 3.58 and not NTSC 4.43, and for output, your receiving device needs to support NTSC 3.58 recording as well.

I always connect the camera to the Canopus using the RCA cables for the audio but the S-Video for the video.

May 27, 2015 8:43 AM in response to Klaus1

I'm using an old vhs that does not have S-video out. I tried it with a DVD player using the s-video but the same issue.

ITs to not only Black and white. It goes up and down really fast. Like when a vcr needs tracking. I've been trying to upload a clip to show you what's doing. But I have no luck with that either. Here is a picture,

User uploaded file

May 27, 2015 10:32 AM in response to dereje100

the picture was black and white and its Flickering.

Sounds like the old Macrovision. Macrovision is an old type of copy protection used on some videotapes.

It is legal for you to transfer (backup) a movie you purchased from VHS to DVD for your use only. It is easy to correct for Macrovision. Of course, if this is a homemade video, Macrovision is not your issue.

A long shot, but........... "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" Sherlock Holmes

Canopus ADVC-110 DV/analog converter , flickering and black and white

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.