Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VIRUS on MAC

My Macbook Pro running version 10.8.5 has been making odd clicking noises then powering off randomly.

I checked the application Terminal and when I pull it up it shows this:

Last login: Tue May 26 15:40:16 on console

VIRUS:~ stephanieglover$

Which made me think maybe I have a Virus, or maybe everyone's Mac has that…?

Additionally, I made a backup of my computer and the folder of all of my contents automatically named itself VIRUS. It has me concerned. I know that Mac Viruses are rare, but they DO exist. Has anyone seen anything similar to this or know how to effectively check to make sure that my Mac is clean?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on May 26, 2015 8:59 PM

3 replies

May 26, 2015 9:03 PM in response to APRichardson.com

Honestly, the clicking noises and power issues sounds more like it may be something to do with your power systems. A reset of the System Management Controller may help with that. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

As for the 'VIRUS', I'm not entirely sure. If you're concerned about a possible virus, you might want to try out an anti-virus program to run a scan. Viruses are not common on ANY computer, and usually have a lot more system-wide issues going on.

May 27, 2015 4:27 AM in response to APRichardson.com

APRichardson.com wrote:

My Macbook Pro running version 10.8.5 has been making odd clicking noises then powering off randomly.

That is probably the result of a failing hard drive. You need to make sure your data is backed up thoroughly, and should make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your nearest Apple Store. Take the machine in for Apple's techs to look at.

VIRUS:~ stephanieglover$

The first part of that command prompt usually is either the network name of your computer (as defined in System Preferences -> Sharing) or a name assigned by the network. It does not mean that you are infected with a virus.

VIRUS on MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.