Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to display metadata of pics with Photos app?

I'm using an iPad 2 latest IOS and the Apple Photos app.

The iPad camera connection kit seems to import RAW images, as that's the only format I shoot in. However, when I work with the imag in Photos and send it by email etc, it sends as a jpeg.

THe question is; is the iPad camera kit converting the RAW files it's importing to jpeg on the fly? Or are the images being imported as RAW and being edited as RAW on the iPad and then converted to jpeg as they're being emailed or shared in Messages?

Is there a way to view the file and extension names of photos transfered to the iPad? Is the a way to view the exif and/or metadata?

Thanks for any feedback.

JUst a quick note: my reasons for needing this information, besides wanting to know my hardware/softwre, is that I may have only my iPad 2 for a couple of months and wooild like to be able to import RAW from my 5d Mark lll, do some basic editing, then offload them to a cloud service or external hard drive.

Thanks again.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on May 26, 2015 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 10:30 PM

Use View > Metadata from Photos' menu to view a photo's metadata.

7 replies

Dec 31, 2016 1:50 PM in response to Community User

Hey,

You will have to depend on 3rd party apps since Apple's Photos app doesn't display EXIF Metadata of picture currently, like "Exif Viewer by Fluntro", "Metapho", "Photo Investigator" etc.

We are developers of "EXIF Viewer by Fluntro."

Download from Appstore using link

https://itunes.apple.com/app/exif-viewer-by-fluntro-for/id944118456?mt=8

30 seconds App Preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XtjAhf7dVg&app=desktop

User uploaded file

How to display metadata of pics with Photos app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.