Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus messages app crash - won't open at all

My message app just started crashing - cannot open it at all. I don't have SwiftKey or anything on it. I do not want to have to do a hard restore or what not if there are other measures I can take first. Everything else is working and I've checked what I can think of.

Posted on May 26, 2015 7:17 PM

5 replies

May 27, 2015 5:00 AM in response to korpit

I think the Messages Database crashed which causes the app to immediately close. The fastest way to fix this problem is to delete all phone contents and settings (Go To Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings)

It will take less than a minute

Once your iPhone had been completely erased, you will need to restore everything from your latest backup

Luckily I've backed up my iPhone 2 weeks ago. I hope you have one too

P.S. Do not create another backup upon connecting to iTunes. Because it might just create a backup copy of the corrupted messages database. Then you will be just restoring the same corrupted data file which will not fix the said problem

Hope this helps

May 27, 2015 5:01 AM in response to jekpango

Actually, we just discovered that it was a virus sent by text message. Our son got it and was told that it was a funny prank to turn off others phones so he sent it to one of our phones. Now my son's brand new one week old iWatch, iPhone and my husband's iPhone will NOT work with text. Our other child received the same text from a friend and it happened as well.

I am livid at the moment and have no idea how to fix this. $4000 worth of products.

May 27, 2015 5:40 AM in response to korpit

Yes, it's also the "POWER Text followed by some weird symbols" that caused my messages app to crash. I've tried everything possible to delete all text messages but to no avail. Deleting all contents and restoring the backup was the only thing that worked for me.

If you have an iTunes backup or if you've turned on your iCloud account backup then i think restoring your iDevice contents won't be too much of a problem

iPhone 6 Plus messages app crash - won't open at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.