Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 24" 2.8GHz 4GB (A1225), replace Hard Disk and Reinstall OS

Hi

I’m completely new to the Apple world and would need some basic advise.

I have a iMac 24" 2.8GHz 4GB (A1225) (early 2008) which has a hard disk failure (blinking Folder with questions mark).

No need to recover any data

First I would like to replace the Hard Disk (any advice for specific SSD with mounting frame?)

Once the disk is replaced how can I prepare and reinstall the OS? I do not have any recovery DVD’s available.

If this will not work, could I install Windows 8.1 or 10 on a clean disk?

Any hint is highly appreciated

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers, Randy

iMac

Posted on May 27, 2015 1:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 6:05 AM

Purchase Snow Leopard 10.6.x from Apple's online store ($20) and look for a SSD install instructions online such as iFixit or possibly OWC (www.macsales.com), Youtube, etc.... Most SSDs come with adapters so you don't have to worry about getting it to physically fit.You can also install Windows however you will likely need virtualization software such as Parallels or Fusion to run it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2015 6:05 AM in response to Dumbo68

Purchase Snow Leopard 10.6.x from Apple's online store ($20) and look for a SSD install instructions online such as iFixit or possibly OWC (www.macsales.com), Youtube, etc.... Most SSDs come with adapters so you don't have to worry about getting it to physically fit.You can also install Windows however you will likely need virtualization software such as Parallels or Fusion to run it.

iMac 24" 2.8GHz 4GB (A1225), replace Hard Disk and Reinstall OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.