Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adware infection

I seem to have an adware infection. It will not let docking station open, nor access any icons. My desktop has gone a solid color and none of the preference section will allow me to change preferences. I can still access recent items and safari, but am unable to download any adware/ malware products as when opening a download occurs; it states no application is available to open download. HELP.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 26, 2015 9:31 PM

4 replies

May 27, 2015 3:45 AM in response to holt1215

holt1215 wrote:

Anytime I try to download something, says setup2.exec unable to find application available to open.

If you tried clicking on the Download button on the page that Rysz directed you to and the result was that something named "setup2.exe" was downloaded, you definitely have something on your computer that is interfering, and is actively preventing you from downloading a potential solution.

Are you actually still using Mac OS X 10.6.8, as your profile indicates, or is that outdated? If you are using 10.6.8, you cannot use AdwareMedic anyway, as it requires 10.7 or later. Try the manual removal instructions here instead:

http://www.thesafemac.com/arg

If that page is blocked by adware, or if you have a newer system and want to try AdwareMedic, restart your computer in safe mode:

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support

This will disable all third-party software that loads at startup. Then open Safari and go to Safari's preferences. Click the Extensions icon in Safari's preferences window, and toggle the big switch in the upper right corner to "Off". Now try loading the page or downloading AdwareMedic again.

I would greatly appreciate hearing back about what adware you find, so that I know what adware is behaving this way. The last time this happened and I could verify it, I was able to report it to Apple and they took steps to block that adware using the built-in anti-malware protection in Mac OS X.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

May 27, 2015 7:32 AM in response to holt1215

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Adware infection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.