Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make Airport not accessible

I have an Airport Express in my LAN, which is connected to my HiFi System and my Printer. The other MacBooks in this room are in the same LAN, but i want them to have NO access to the Airport, especially AirPlay. If i try to set an AirPlay password via the AirPlay Speaker password others can just open the AirPortUtility and delete the password.

Anyone got an idea how to make the AirPlay only accessible for me?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 27, 2015 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 4:05 AM

There is no way you can block people out who connect by LAN.. Apple designed it without access limitations from wired connections..

In theory you can statically set the IP of the express.. use a different IP range.. you can then statically set the IP on the computer.. this however just hides the express.. in no way should it be considered secure.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2015 4:05 AM in response to d3pwnd

There is no way you can block people out who connect by LAN.. Apple designed it without access limitations from wired connections..

In theory you can statically set the IP of the express.. use a different IP range.. you can then statically set the IP on the computer.. this however just hides the express.. in no way should it be considered secure.

May 27, 2015 4:33 AM in response to d3pwnd

Yes.. and as stated.. it is not going to block anybody with brains.. or btw the ability to press the reset on the express.. which will then revert to default settings.. if they do a soft reset they can access it for 5min.. without your knowledge and discover your new IP address setting.. so security is illusory even from wireless if you have open access to any apple router.

May 27, 2015 7:59 AM in response to d3pwnd

Sorry to belabor the point but I'd just like to understand. I'm not sure what you mean by "leave the printer as it is". I have never connected a printer to an Express, so I'm not sure what it is that you don't want to change.

In any case, if the other MacBooks are to have "no access" to the Express it seems that not allowing them management access is a necessary step.

Thanks.

Make Airport not accessible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.