Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID not working

Out of the blue, my Touch ID stopped working. Won't work on unlocking iPhone and on apps like 1Password. Powered off and on to no avail. Closed out open apps to no avail. Any suggestions other than re-entering my fingerprints? It is turned on in settings for all uses

Posted on May 26, 2015 11:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 11:46 PM

iOS version?

Any suggestions other than re-entering my fingerprints?

Any reason why you don't want to re-enter your fingerprints?

Reset the phone: press both the home and lock buttons for at least 10 seconds, releasing when the Apple logo appears.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All settings

Restore to factory settings

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings

See this:

Get help with Touch ID

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iOS.
  2. Make sure that your fingers and the Home button are clean and dry.*
  3. Cover the Home button completely. Don't tap too quickly, don't press down hard, and don't move your finger while Touch ID is scanning. Make sure that your finger touches the metal ring around the Home button.
  4. If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring. If it does, remove the case or screen protector and try again.
  5. Tap Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and make sure that iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on. Also make sure that you've enrolled one or more fingerprints.
  6. Try enrolling a different finger.
  7. If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your device to an Apple Retail Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact AppleCare for help.

* Moisture, lotions, sweat, oils, cuts, or dry skin might affect fingerprint recognition. Certain activities can also temporarily affect fingerprint recognition, including exercising, showering, swimming, cooking, or other conditions or changes that affect your fingerprint.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2015 11:46 PM in response to Steve Hadeen

iOS version?

Any suggestions other than re-entering my fingerprints?

Any reason why you don't want to re-enter your fingerprints?

Reset the phone: press both the home and lock buttons for at least 10 seconds, releasing when the Apple logo appears.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All settings

Restore to factory settings

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings

See this:

Get help with Touch ID

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iOS.
  2. Make sure that your fingers and the Home button are clean and dry.*
  3. Cover the Home button completely. Don't tap too quickly, don't press down hard, and don't move your finger while Touch ID is scanning. Make sure that your finger touches the metal ring around the Home button.
  4. If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring. If it does, remove the case or screen protector and try again.
  5. Tap Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and make sure that iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on. Also make sure that you've enrolled one or more fingerprints.
  6. Try enrolling a different finger.
  7. If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your device to an Apple Retail Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact AppleCare for help.

* Moisture, lotions, sweat, oils, cuts, or dry skin might affect fingerprint recognition. Certain activities can also temporarily affect fingerprint recognition, including exercising, showering, swimming, cooking, or other conditions or changes that affect your fingerprint.

May 27, 2015 10:44 AM in response to modular747

No reason not to other than it takes a little bit of time. Just wanted to try other options first. Turned out after letting it sit overnight after all I did last night it went back to normal and working so perhaps just something on my fingerprint although I'm not sure about that as it would not even recognize that I was trying to use Touch ID. Anyway, it is working not.

Touch ID not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.