Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone Theft

What is Apple doing to reduce iPhone theft? Its products are sophisticated, but a 12-year-old can pick up someone's iPhone 6, turn the power off, take it home, and sell it on Ebay for more than $200 with a listing that says the IMEI is blacklisted. Apple has to accept a portion of the responsibility for this.

The same used to be true of cars, but not anymore. Federal legislation required auto makers to reduce the kind of rampant casual theft that now exists with iPhones. And it worked. stealing a late model car now takes planning and capital.

Some people believe Apple is indifferent because it profits from widespread theft. I don't have an opinion on that. But I do believe a company as smart as Apple could take a lot of the profit out of casul theft by making its product harder to profitably steal.

Of course it cannot stop committed professional thieves. But it should not sell a product that anyone on an impulse can pick up and sell for hundreds of dollars. Apple hurts its customers by making more of them theft victims and hurts society by tempting young people and those with poor impulse control.

iPhone 6, Windows 8, null

Posted on May 27, 2015 1:11 AM

25 replies

May 28, 2015 12:56 PM in response to Rudegar

Thanks for the links. But these are all things Apple has done, mostly long ago. All of them great things and count among the reasons I think Apple is capable of solving the huge problem that still exists.

But the links you provided have little to do with the question I asked. Namely, What is Apple doing now? By that I mean, What is Apple doing to solve this iPhone casual and impulse theft problem what everyone knows continues to be serious for iPhone owners and society in general? Does Apple have engineers devoted specifically to this problem? How many? What ideas are they working on? Is a law needed, as was necessary for automakers, to force smartphone makers to make their products secure and stop selling theft bait?

I'm not making a suggestion. So feedback is not an appropriate place for this discussion. I'm not a security engineer. I don't have a design solution. And I'm sure Apple does not need me to tell it how vulnerable and theft-tempting its iPhones are. Everyone already knows that.

Maybe I am wrong. But I believe a company capable of designing a product as sophisticated as an iPhone can make it a lot less attractive to steal than it is now. As your links point out, it's already made some big improvements. None of them were easy or simple. I think Apple has the genius and resources to solve this problem. And by "solve" I do not mean stopping all theft. Dedicated thieves willing to invest in planning and equipment will always find a way. The problem I believe Apple could solve is the easy, casual and profitable theft that is so widespread now. And growing.

May 28, 2015 2:42 PM in response to Complainer

Complainer wrote:

Thanks for the links. But these are all things Apple has done, mostly long ago. All of them great things and count among the reasons I think Apple is capable of solving the huge problem that still exists.

Since Apple implemented Activation Lock (not really that long ago - just under 2 years ago), thefts of iPhones have dropped by more than 30% in some large cities.

It is absurd to think Apple is capable of stopping all iPhone thefts. It's not a problem with a purely technological solution.

May 28, 2015 2:57 PM in response to Complainer

Expensive electronic devices (smart phones, tablets, laptops) that store all sorts of personal information will always be a target for thieves. No technological innovation will ever wholly change that. The fact that some people refuse to set up activation lock, or use their devices without pass codes, etc, etc mean there will always be some incentive to theives.

Bank robbers nearly always get caught these days, but it has not completely stopped some from still trying. We certainly don't need a law to stop cell phone theft as it has always been illegal to steal what is not yours. You cannot make it more illegal than it already is.

May 28, 2015 4:00 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg, keep in mind the nature of the majority of those filling up our prisons. My father was a parole officer for many years, and later a deputy prison warden. While there are the exceptional brilliant crooks, the vast majority ended up in prison because they just really are not that bright, were just plain too lazy to work honestly, or both 😉

May 28, 2015 8:10 PM in response to Complainer

You mean like these stolen cars?

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/top-10-most-stolen-vehicles-in-the-us/11/

The Feds did mandate that more parts be marked with serial numbers which lowered the theft of cars just to steal their front end but there are still lots of stolen cars and lots of rings use kids to steal them.

Apple developed Activation Lock on their own without any kind of federal intervention and some states are now copying them and mandating that other phone makers come up with kill switches.

Other than making the phone electrocute someone who tried to take it if it was locked (oh wait, we'll also fell the owner) or a handy attachable chain I don't know what Apple could do. Comparing small electronic theft to stealing cars is like comparing purse theft to auto theft. What are we doing about manufacturers of purses stopping their theft?

May 29, 2015 5:00 AM in response to Complainer

Quite honestly I think the responsibility is now on owners, not Apple. You want to really stop smart phone theft?

1. Use a strong passcode, not a four digit one and have your passcode lock immediately when the screen dims. (many smart phone users do not use a passocde at all as it is "too inconvenient")

2. use iCloud and set up find my iPhone

3. Use a strong password for your AppleID/iCloud account. And set up two step verification (same thing for gmail and any other account that offers two step verification). DO NOT let others use your accounts. DO NOT write passwords down, invest in a secure password app if necessary to keep them. And DO NOT use the same password for everything.

4. Don't wander around in public with headphones on, or focused on your texting screen or playing a game as you walk. Maintain a measure of situational awareness when you are in public places. People have a tendency to mark themselves as easy meat for thieves, muggers and pickpockets.

Many of the tools to reduce theft are already there. The fact is, many people simply don't use them as they place a greater emphasis on personal convenience and not personal security and responsibility. As has always been the case and always will, there is no way to increase security without sacrificing some measure of convenience. Make your choices with your device, and live with the consequences.

Iphone Theft

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.