Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to take a slideshow from iMovie

I have created a slideshow in iMovie & want to burn it to DVD to show on DVD player. Suggestions?

Posted on May 27, 2015 5:10 AM

7 replies

May 27, 2015 6:29 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

I have iMovie 10.0.8. I don't have a DVD program. I do see in my apps a DVD Player app, but not a DVD burner app. One person recommended DVD Creator by Wondershare but don't want to pay $50 until I know it will work for me. And I also looked at Blu-Ray/DVD Creator by digiber which wants $40/yr. I also don't know what DVD-5, DVD-9, BD-25..., or BD-50... are. The DVD I have says: "DVD-R, 16X, 4.7 GB data, 120 min video". Slide show I want to burn is about 6 minutes long. Thank you for any help you can offer.

May 27, 2015 6:38 AM in response to frydeggs

Save your money and don't buy anything hardware or software related.

Dozens of ways to share your file from iMovie version 10 and since your project is so short a post to Facebook or YouTube or post online for your people to download.

If you have a CD burner on your machine (most newer Mac don't even have them) your file will easily fit as a QuickTime movie on one. It will only play on a modern DVD player that can handle .mp4 files or they can play it back on any computer via QuickTime.

May 27, 2015 6:46 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Kirk,

This slide show will need to be played on a (probably) older DVD player in a funeral home (at a wake). So I need a disc to take them.

It used to be easy to burn a DVD (or CD) on a PC or a Mac. But now I see no app in either Mac nor PC. Suggestions? Will these 2-3 year old DVD's that I have work? And how can I get the slide show onto the disc?

May 27, 2015 8:10 AM in response to frydeggs

Your first problem is the lack of DVD authoring software or a drive to create one. CD's and DVD's are a dying media.

If the TV you'll be using is a modern one then it has HDMI connections. You could connect an Apple TV device and use AirPlay to send a file from an iOS device (iPhone or iPad or even a modern laptop with Yosemite) to it for the broadcast to the TV. Playback from those devices could be "looped" for continuos playback. You would also need a local network to send the signal from the device to the Apple TV.

May 27, 2015 9:13 AM in response to frydeggs

Why is there no iDVD on my new Mac? How do I get it and how do I install it?

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3673

To burn a DVD with iDVD from the latest version of iMovie, you have to export the movie using the Export button and select 480p as the size. Open iDVD and start a new project, then drag that exported movie file into the iDVD menu window, avoiding any drop zones you see.

May 27, 2015 11:53 AM in response to Klaus1

iDVD no longer comes on Macs. I've got the iMovie exported to my desktop. I expect I need a 3rd party program to make a DVD disk. But QuickTimeKirk suggested using HDMI cable and AirPlay to send iMovie to a TV from iOS device. I'm researching the capabilities of the TV I'll need to use, but the place that needs to show the iMovie is pretty old-fashioned.

how to take a slideshow from iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.