Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very slow Mac

I have a 21.5 inch iMac with 4gb RAM,yosemite 10.10.3.I am facing this kind of problem since 3-4 months:

Whenever i download anything from the internet(direct) my iMac my freezes and becomes very slow,i am unable to even move my mouse.

Recently i noticed that whenever i download something or run a app like Wondershare video Convertor,a process named "Installer" uses 99.5-99.9% of my CPU.It uses a lot of memory.I then force shut down my mac and then everything works fine,Even a 1kb downloaded file slows my mac.

I was wondering how to fix this problem.Any Help would be appreciated

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on May 27, 2015 12:51 AM

4 replies

May 27, 2015 7:26 AM in response to yashkumar

There is no need to download anything to solve this problem.

If Safari crashes on launch and you don't have another web browser, you should be able to launch Safari by starting up in safe mode.

You may have installed the "Genieo" or "InstallMac" ad-injection malware. Follow the instructions on this Apple Support page to remove it.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Malware is always changing to get around the defenses against it. In addition to the files listed in the support article, you may also have some of the following:

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.Installer.completer.download.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.Installer.completer.ltvbit.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.Installer.completer.update.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/Texiday.download.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/Texiday.ltvbit.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/Texiday.update.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.spigot.SearchProtection.plist

~/Library/Application Support/IM.Installer

Removing these files, if they exist, is optional if you've already followed Apple's instructions.

One of the steps in the article is to remove malicious Safari extensions. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those.

After removing the malware, remember to reset your home page in all the web browsers affected, if it was changed.

If you don't find any of the files or extensions listed, or if removing them doesn't stop the ad injection, then you may have one of the other kinds of adware covered by the support article. Follow the rest of the instructions in the article.

If you find Apple's instructions too hard to follow, ask for an alternative that doesn't require you to trust a black-box application without knowing what it does.

Make sure you don't repeat the mistake that led you to install the malware. Chances are you got it from an Internet cesspit such as "Softonic" or "CNET Download." Never visit either of those sites again. You might also have downloaded it from an ad in a page on some other site. The ad would probably have included a large green button labeled "Download" or "Download Now" in white letters. The button is designed to confuse people who intend to download something else on the same page. If you ever download a file that isn't obviously what you expected, delete it immediately.

In the Security & Privacy pane of System Preferences, select the General tab. The radio button marked Anywhere should not be selected. If it is, click the lock icon to unlock the settings, then select one of the other buttons. After that, don't ignore a warning that you are about to run or install an application from an unknown developer.

Still in System Preferences, open the App Store or Software Update pane and check the box marked

Install system data files and security updates (OS X 10.10 or later)

or

Download updates automatically (OS X 10.9 or earlier)

if it's not already checked.

Jun 1, 2015 8:31 PM in response to Linc Davis

Yesterday i took about 3 hours to clean my mac efficiently by seeing all the files and folders and deleting the ones which are not needed.After doing this my mac is fast and smooth again,now my mac does not hang when i download from the internet.

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.spigot.SearchProtection.plist(I have this thing on my mac).Should i delete it?

Thank you very much.

Very slow Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.